Magavero family in Leroy, NY

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
reneeseitz

Postby reneeseitz » 17 Apr 2003, 13:40

Hi, I'm very new to this, and having a hard time connecting anyone to the Magavero side of my family (my great grandmother Josephine) Her family ended up in Leroy, NY, and then branched out from there. (She lived in Seneca Falls NY, and married my great grandfather Carmello Calabro) If anyone has a connection to this family, I would love to hear from you. I know some of my grandmothers siblings. They are: Charles, Philip, Mary (who married Charles Antinore) and Carrie. There may have been more, I'm just not sure as everyone I know on that side of the family is dead Thanks for any input. Renee Seitz

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 17 Apr 2003, 14:54

Thanks for setting out your "problem" but I would like to ask if yoiu are iunterested in finding family in Italy or the USA.??? You don't specify, in fact you just give me your background without explaining what you mean by "connection". Please sit down and think about what your research objectives are...just what do you want to know. My job is to then refer you to appropriate websites and you will discover your family. Peter

JRaffa

Magavero Family

Postby JRaffa » 17 Apr 2003, 15:34

If you are looking to search for lost relatives it might be a good idea to check the internet telephone directories using those surnames. I did this and was successful in locating a family member we had lost contact with for 40 years. I was reunited with my fathers' sister just two years ago. If you are interested in doing a family tree one thing you must remember is that some surnames changed when Italians immigrated to the U.S. and also both my parents were born in the U.S. and still on their birth certificates were Italian names not American names. example: giovanni for John and Giovanna for Jennie/Jean

Carmelo is an Italian name but the others on your list are a bit different
i.e. Josephine is Giuseppina or Giuseppa / Charles is Carlo?? / Philip is Filippo / Mary is Maria / Carrie not sure ?

Hope this little bit of information helps you... Good Luck
Joe

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 17 Apr 2003, 21:23

Dear Joe I asked this poster for specific information since she has not thought out what she wants to achieve. I am anticipating what she will say when she responds and then I can direct her to appropriate websites and addresses. Your responding to what you think she is asking without knowing may not be the best course of action. Peter

reneeseitz

Postby reneeseitz » 18 Apr 2003, 07:56

Hello. In response, my objectives are to find relatives on my great grandmothers side of the family. While I have some birth and death dates, ss index references, and scraps of information...the connection I'm looking for is someone that might find these names familiar and realize we are related. I have no living relatives on her side that remember past that particular generation, and even their recollections are sketchy. So, if anyone out there finds the name Magavero, and the town of Leroy, NY familiar to their own history, I would love to hear from you. I apologize if I did not make myself clear in my original posting. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 18 Apr 2003, 14:13

You are fortunate in that there are only 8 persdons listed in the white pages surnamed Magavero in the USA. Two are in NY state, one in Texas, two in tennessee (you probably), one in Ohio Forida and Illinois I would contact the one in NY that is in a town located in northern NY first who may know something more, however, if I were you I would write either one letter to all 8 and ask them about your Ggreatgrandmother or call them on the telephone. Now for the future and for your own knowledge there are 5 perople in Italy surnamed Magavero. If you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Magavero in the firt line and in the third line (one at a time) the following villages and cities: Maglie(located in south Italy in province of Lecce in puglia region), two in the city of ROMA,1 in the city of FIRENZE (Florence) and one in the town of Folonica(province of Grosseto, Tuscany region). Make a copy of this for your records and keep it since they are probably your relatives. Later on you will write a letter to them asking them if they are related to you after you have more information about her. Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 18 Apr 2003, 14:19

WEhen you go to www.paginebianche.it it will be in Italian so don't worry if you do exactly what I tell you. Remeber put in the name MAGAVERO in the first Line and then (one at a time) put the following towns and cities. Maglie, Roma, Firenze,Folonica. When you put in the first town you will then click CERCA (it is in red below) and a listing will appeare of the Magavero living in that place by full name,address and telephone number. Do the same for ther next city or town. Please let me know how you make out. Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 20 Apr 2003, 04:57

The last town in Italy is FOLLONICA sorry for the misspelling of Folonica.Peter

reneeseitz

Magavero family in NY

Postby reneeseitz » 20 Apr 2003, 22:50

Hi all. After following through on Peters suggestion, I was able to find some Magaveros in Italy. I am working on the US Magaveros as well.

I was able to aquire more information regarding this side of my family, maybe it will ring a bell with some of the members.

On my Great Grandmother Josephines ss application, she lists her birthplace as Bizerta, Tunisia Africa, and she lists her parents as Charles Magavero and Laura Lavada (her mother's maiden name) This is the first I have heard of the Lavada name in our history. Appearently my GGrandmothers mother died, and her father remarried. Here's the fun part, my Great Grandfather, Carmelo Calabro, had a sister Mary Ann, and they brought her over from Italy to marry my GGrandmothers father Charles. I guess my GGGrandfather Charles had several children with Laura, and then had several children with Mary Ann, which is going to make for interesting kinship reports. :oops:

If any of this sound even remotely familiar...I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Renee

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 20 Apr 2003, 23:04

Well I hope someone reaches out to you. If you needs a heads up in the future pleased let me know. Lots of Luck to you. I feel sure you will get asn invite to visit Ityaly wehen you contact the relatives. Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 20 Apr 2003, 23:04

Well I hope someone reaches out to you. If you needs a heads up in the future pleased let me know. Lots of Luck to you. I feel sure you will get asn invite to visit Ityaly wehen you contact the relatives. Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 20 Apr 2003, 23:05

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » 27 Aug 2003, 02:52

i knew chuck!
there are some magarvoros here
perhaps i can help

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 27 Aug 2003, 04:42

And who are you Maryellen? and who is chuck? Peter

ptimber
Master