Virgola (?spelling) surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 157
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Central New York (Albany)

Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby lynnef » 17 Aug 2007, 14:58

My great grandmother's maiden name was Virgola (although I'm not sure of the exact spelling). Her first name was Maria/Marie/Mary. She was born in Calabria in 1877 and immigrated to the United States in or about 1900. She died in 1938 in Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York. I believe she was an only child. Her married name was Alia. I've been unable to find her name (surname) on a ship manifest from Ellis Island. If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks. :)

User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1210
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby BillieDeKid » 17 Aug 2007, 22:02

Here is a link and I believe this is the person you're looking for. They really butchered the last name. The first name is correct, birth year is correct, arrival year is correct. Let me know if this helped.


http://ellisisland.jewishgen.org/gold.p ... ECTION=asc

User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1210
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby BillieDeKid » 17 Aug 2007, 22:06

My post was incorrect Lynne, my apologies.

I will keep looking.

User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 157
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Central New York (Albany)

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby lynnef » 17 Aug 2007, 22:09

BillieDeKid wrote:Here is a link and I believe this is the person you're looking for. They really butchered the last name. The first name is correct, birth year is correct, arrival year is correct. Let me know if this helped.


http://ellisisland.jewishgen.org/gold.p ... ECTION=asc


I can't be sure. I do know she was Italian, so that rules out everyone except Priglisi...and even that doesn't seem to be the right one...

I appreciate your help, BillieDeKid, but I'm just not sure... :? Any other ideas?

User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 157
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Central New York (Albany)

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby lynnef » 17 Aug 2007, 22:10

BillieDeKid wrote:My post was incorrect Lynne, my apologies.

I will keep looking.


No problem. I do appreciate your help. :)

User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1210
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby BillieDeKid » 17 Aug 2007, 22:45

I was thinking it was number 5, came from Ragusa, born 1877 but arrived 1898 not 1900 (but close), first name Maria

User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2263
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby misbris » 17 Aug 2007, 22:49

Have you found your ggranfather's record? What was his first name? What town was he from? Do you have any other info that might narrow it down.

I found Virgoli, Vergona and Virgone, but none of them match.

User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 157
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Central New York (Albany)

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby lynnef » 18 Aug 2007, 01:06

misbris wrote:Have you found your ggranfather's record? What was his first name? What town was he from? Do you have any other info that might narrow it down.

I found Virgoli, Vergona and Virgone, but none of them match.


My great grandfather's name was Vengengio/Vincenzo/James Alia, born in 1875 in Calabria, and died around 1950 in Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York. He immigrated to the United States in 1894.

User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2263
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby misbris » 18 Aug 2007, 03:55

(1910 census)
I don't know how to link the page, someone else here can do it for you. If this is your ggf, his wife Marie's immigration date is listed as 1900.

There are 3 daughters listed
Rosina 8
Christina 4
Teresa 1


ALIA VINGENZIO 35 M W ITAL NY ONONDAGA 7-WD SYRACUSE 1910

Can you confirm this info?

User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 157
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Central New York (Albany)

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby lynnef » 20 Aug 2007, 12:58

misbris wrote:(1910 census)
I don't know how to link the page, someone else here can do it for you. If this is your ggf, his wife Marie's immigration date is listed as 1900.

There are 3 daughters listed
Rosina 8
Christina 4
Teresa 1


ALIA VINGENZIO 35 M W ITAL NY ONONDAGA 7-WD SYRACUSE 1910

Can you confirm this info?


Yes, misbris, this information is correct. Teresa was my grandmother. Her full name was Teresina Santa Carmela Alia. :)

User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2263
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby misbris » 20 Aug 2007, 21:30

Do you think this might be your ggf? It gives his occupation as a blacksmith



First Name: Vincenzo
Last Name: Ali
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Giviosa
Date of Arrival: May 13, 1895
Age at Arrival: 20y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Burgundia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0140

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby vj » 20 Aug 2007, 21:42

link to misbris' 1895 manifest find

Hi guys :D !
This might help everyone catch up
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... rt=45.html
I'd start at the end of the post first :wink:
Valarie

User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 157
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Central New York (Albany)

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby lynnef » 21 Aug 2007, 11:24

misbris wrote:Do you think this might be your ggf? It gives his occupation as a blacksmith



First Name: Vincenzo
Last Name: Ali
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Giviosa
Date of Arrival: May 13, 1895
Age at Arrival: 20y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Burgundia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0140


Yes, this could be him, and he could have been a blacksmith...not sure. He was born in 1875, so 20 years of age would be correct. My understanding is he immigrated to the U.S. in 1894 and naturalized.

Do you know what part of Italy Giviosa was located?

Have you had any luck finding the manifest on my great-grandmother? :)

User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2263
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby misbris » 22 Aug 2007, 01:52

I could not find a Giviosa. However there are a number of places named Gioiosa. One is in Sicily and another in Calabria. I didn't find them in the locations database, but I'm sure one of our Italian members has the information. Once you know the town for sure, the search for Maria's record will be easier.

Also, in that town in Calabria, the surname Ali seems to be fairly common.
Suanj would be the expert in that area.

User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 157
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Central New York (Albany)

Re: Virgola (?spelling) surname

Postby lynnef » 22 Aug 2007, 11:29

misbris wrote:I could not find a Giviosa. However there are a number of places named Gioiosa. One is in Sicily and another in Calabria. I didn't find them in the locations database, but I'm sure one of our Italian members has the information. Once you know the town for sure, the search for Maria's record will be easier.

Also, in that town in Calabria, the surname Ali seems to be fairly common.
Suanj would be the expert in that area.


Thank you for your help, misbris. I will ask Suanj. :)


Return to “Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], blueberryjerry, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 19 guests