Dual Citizenship Question????

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LvItalian1979

Dual Citizenship Question????

Post by LvItalian1979 »

I am trying to get my dual citizenship but I am confused about one thing and I hope someone can help me. My great grandfather was born in Italy and came through Ellis Island. I can't find any records of him listed as getting a US citizenship. In 1930 he was still listed as a alien. My grnadmother was born in 1919 which passed his citizenship over to her. My mother was born after the cut off of not being able to pass on the citizenship on the maternal side of the family (yah for me! I am a citizen according to the rules!). That is a little information to help out with my answer. My question is my grandmother got married had my mom then got divorced. She then remarried and he adopted my mother so she changed her name. But my mothers birth certificate says the other guys last name as her last name on the certificate. Do I need to get a marriage certificate, a divorce certificate, the new marriage certificate, the adoption papers? I need to know all the papers I need to get and i am not sure if I need birth certificates for both guys and death certificates for both....so if anybody can help me that would be great???????
micheleantonio

Re: Dual Citizenship Question????

Post by micheleantonio »

LvItalian1979 wrote:I am trying to get my dual citizenship but I am confused about one thing and I hope someone can help me. My great grandfather was born in Italy and came through Ellis Island. I can't find any records of him listed as getting a US citizenship. In 1930 he was still listed as a alien. My grnadmother was born in 1919 which passed his citizenship over to her. My mother was born after the cut off of not being able to pass on the citizenship on the maternal side of the family (yah for me! I am a citizen according to the rules!). That is a little information to help out with my answer. My question is my grandmother got married had my mom then got divorced. She then remarried and he adopted my mother so she changed her name. But my mothers birth certificate says the other guys last name as her last name on the certificate. Do I need to get a marriage certificate, a divorce certificate, the new marriage certificate, the adoption papers? I need to know all the papers I need to get and i am not sure if I need birth certificates for both guys and death certificates for both....so if anybody can help me that would be great???????
Whoa, where did you get that cool Italian eyeball! I want one.

I thought you could only go from grandparent to parent to you?
LvItalian1979

Post by LvItalian1979 »

Go to this website it explains how you can track back.....www.italiandualcitizenship.com
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Despite the difficulty, you will need both marriage papers, the divorce papers, and the adoption papers (including change of name). In this way, when you go to the consulate, you can clearly show that the two names your mother has used refer to the same person.

At many consulates you only need documentation from the side of the family from which you derive citizenship. Check with yours. I doubt you will need birth and death certificates from your natural and adoptive grandfathers.
LvItalian1979

Post by LvItalian1979 »

Thanks for the information, I tried emailing the consulate but who knows how long that will take for them to respond (if they respond).