*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

BASILIOTTI surname around Bologna

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby rosebear » 25 Apr 2003, 03:04

My mother came to New Zealand around 1946 as a war bride where she married my father around 1946 - 47, his name was Noel Johnston. My mothers maiden name was Maria Pia Basiliotti and was born about 1926 she died in New Zealand in 1968. She also had a brother called Sergio Basiliotti. Her Fathers name was Emelio Basiliotti and her mothers name was Esmene Basiliotti -as far as I know they only had 2 children Sergio and my mother. I am trying to search our roots in Italy. To my knowledge she came from around Bologna way. Can anybody help me please.
rosebear

Postby ptimber » 25 Apr 2003, 04:12

I wouold like to help you very much but you have to help me helpyou. In Italy all documents and history are in the place of origin. I mean the actual town or village where the person was born. Saying she from around Bologna is too casual and non productive. Are there any family members that can tell you the town she came from in Italy. Are there any letters, photographs or hearsay that would pinpoint the town. Have you checked her marriage record or NZ citizneship application or anything else that might give you that information. I know that OZ has a website which NZ might have. go to www.naa.gov.au and and ask them for the NZ e-mail address for information about passenger records held by the archives in NZ. Do you know what ship she arrived on. Peter NYC
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 25 Apr 2003, 04:18

There are only 15 persons in Italy surnamed Basiliotti in Italy and none are anywhere near Bologna. If push comes to shove yhou will contact each one and ask them if there is no other weay to find out where she came from. I have an idea that "Bologna" is a vague idea without any real substance and she came from elsewhere. I checked the entire region and there is no record for a Basiliotti currently alive in that area. Peter NYC
ptimber
Master
Master

To Peter NYC

Postby rosebear » 25 Apr 2003, 07:06

Thank you for trying for me, I will go to the website you gave me and see what I can find. Thank you again. I just thought on the off chance that someone out their may know the name. As I had a feeling it is not a common name anywhere.

Rose Johnston (Bassiliotti)
rosebear

Postby ptimber » 25 Apr 2003, 14:27

I already e-mailed NZ archive people anmd awaiting response. Do you have the name of the ship she came in on??? Do you know how tro read,write and speak italian to some degree?? What website did you try I gave you none just an e-mail address to inquire about NZ archives??? How old are you??? Peter NYC
ptimber
Master
Master

Peter NYC

Postby rosebear » 25 Apr 2003, 20:22

No, I do not speak or read/write Italian. I am trying at this end to find out information about my mothers place of birth, I know that she grew up in Bologna had a brother named sergio who lived in Bologna, he was a prison warden in a womens prison in Bologna. He died back in the 1970's as far as I know his wife may still be alive and still living in Bologna her name is Olga Bassiliotti, they had 1 child a daughter named Eliana who is married I do not know her married name.

Thank you again Pete for trying for me, I appreciate any help you can give me, and I apologise for the lack of information. Again I just tried this option on the off chance that somebody may know the name. I can get marriage details from this end, but it won't tell me much about her origins, if it was a village etc.

My full name is Rosanne Johnston Born 5 September 1953, in Rotorua, New Zealand.

On my birth certificate, it names my mothers birth place as Siena Italy.

Rose Johnston
rosebear

Postby ptimber » 25 Apr 2003, 21:06

Why not write to Siena for a copy of her birth certificate? Write to Ufficio di Stato Civile, Postale 53100, Comune di Siena, Toscana, Italy. Send a form letter in italian (go to www.italianancestry.com and in part 3 you will find access to italian language form letters) along with a self addressed return envelope and include a $5.00 Euro note or send the NZ equivalent of postal coupons. The mormon church peopole suggest this amount. You may also wish to go to the nearest Family History Library of the Mormon church where you reside and request microfiulm for Siena in order to trace your mothers birh that way. They have microfiulmewd all civil records in Italy. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 25 Apr 2003, 21:07

Why not write to Siena for a copy of her birth certificate? Write to Ufficio di Stato Civile, Postale 53100, Comune di Siena, Toscana, Italy. Send a form letter in italian (go to www.italianancestry.com and in part 3 you will find access to italian language form letters) along with a self addressed return envelope and include a $5.00 Euro note or send the NZ equivalent of postal coupons. The mormon church peopole suggest this amount. You may also wish to go to the nearest Family History Library of the Mormon church where you reside and request microfiulm for Siena in order to trace your mothers birh that way. They have microfilmed all civil records in Italy. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby rosebear » 25 Apr 2003, 21:10

Thank you for your reply and information. I will do that now.

Rose Johnston
rosebear

Postby ptimber » 25 Apr 2003, 21:11

Is your surname Bassiliotti or Basiliotti?? It makes all the difference in the world since it will reject if one letter is off!! Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 25 Apr 2003, 21:23

I believe your sunrame is Basiliotti and not Bassiliotti. I also suggest one generic letter in Italian (can be translated by local school or college with language dept.) toi all 15 Basiliotti in Italy. Don't hesitate to write a simpe english letter if you cannot get italian language. Included a self addressed envelope with the equivalent of NZ$ to US dollar inside for stamps and ask them if they are related tio you and your mother. Don't hesitate to write to Italy since as you know, italians are warm and hosipitable and will greet your letter warmly. You may wind up with relatives and invites!!!Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby rosebear » 26 Apr 2003, 02:29

Hi Peter

I believe my mothers maiden surname of Basiliotti, was spelt Basiliotti, as that is the spelling on my birth certificate.

I will do a lot more research now, and write to the address you have given more for her birth certificate. And hopefully from there I should be able to find out more. And since there are only 15 Basiliottis in Italy, 1 or some of them have to be related. I feel so far away out here, and have always been told that the language can be a barrier when writing to Italy for any official information.

Thanks again Peter for your help

Rose Johnston
rosebear

Postby ptimber » 26 Apr 2003, 03:31

emglish is a second language in Italy and taught in the schools. Every kids knows engl;ish so simple english letters are good! peter
ptimber
Master
Master

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy