Colera from Collesano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
geokrist

Colera from Collesano

Post by geokrist »

Looking for anyone that may know of this name. My great grandfather was Salvatore Colera. Can't find any info on him or the name in Italy. My great grandmother was Gandolfa La Placa who immigrated through Ellis Island on 9/11/1913 with her children and settled in Jamestown, NY. I did find her manifest which says her father in law was Giuseppe Colera. Cannot find Salvatore's manifest...but know that he did come over before the rest of the family. I did find a Salvatore Colero that could possibly be him...I do know there's only a handful of Colera's in the U.S. I do have my great aunt Angelina's birth certificate from Collesano/Palermo which does state his last name was Colera, so I know it was changed when they came over. Thanks for any info or suggestions.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am a bit confused. if you know where your great grandmother came from since she is on the ellisisland records and it is logical to assume that your great grandfather Salvatore came from the same town????? What town is she from? In the meantime I would suggest that since the town of origin is in question that you go to www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm and submit a form 81 for your greatgrandgfather by name only and if you know his date or year of birth you can include that but at least you will get something going. Use Colera which is as you say the orignal spelling of the name. In the meantime you can go to www.paginebianche.it and insert the surname colera and the town of origin in the third line and click CERCA for any persons with that surname in Collesano to see what comes up. Also use your great grandmothers maiden name. Please let me know what the town of oriign for Greatgrandparents are. Peter
geokrist

Wow that was fast

Post by geokrist »

I apologize for being confusing. The city of origin for my great grandparents is Collesano. I basically haven't been able to find any information on my great grandfather (such as siblings) and didn't know where to start. I had talked with a 3rd cousin of mine in California and he had said he's been able to get somewhere with the La Placa surname but comes to a dead end with the Colera surname. Whenever I search the name it brings up info on cholera.I will definitely go fill out that form 81. I went to the second website you mentioned and entered Colera and there aren't any in Collesano. I also entered La Placa and there are 6 or 7 in Collesano. Thanks again for quick response.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Here is what the next thing to do in addition to submitting the form 81. Write to Ufficio di Stato Civile, Comune Di Coillesano postale 90016, Provincia Palermo, Sicily and erequest a birth ceretificate for your grandfather. If you don't have hius birth date then his year of birth (or approximate) date will do. Send the request in italian (form letters can be obtained thru www.italianancestry.com in part 3) along with a self addressed envelope and $5.,00 Euro note or postal cupons to expedite delivery. The service is free but overseas requests are low in priority and Mormon church people suggest $5.,00 per document. Oce you have his fathers name then you can request a Certificato di Stato di Famiglia (family certificate) which will give all your great grandfathers brothers and sisters provided they have the information on file. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Just thought you would like to know there is a website for Collesano and its www.comune.collesano.pa.it. Peter
geokrist

All I can say is

Post by geokrist »

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou!! :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

our pleasure! Peter