Italian birth certificates

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Italian birth certificates

Post by jenalonso »

What information is contained on a typical Italian birth certificate?

Thanks,

:) Jen
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Italian birth certificates

Post by Cathynap »

I have transcibed thousands of Italian documents but when I started I was overwhelmed not knowing the language, and as Biff mentioned the handwriting is a challenge. I would not have been able to do it without the help of an excellent book. Lynne Nelson's "A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestor's" I picked mine up on Ebay for $5. If you do obtain the microfilms for your town, I highly recommend it. In the book she shows you where to find specifc information, discusses the handwriting style of the different eras and pretty much everything you need to know.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Jen
You get the place date and the time the child was born
The father's name and age when the birth took place and his occupation
(I think you also get the father's father's name ie the baby's grandfather)
The mother's maiden name and age.
Usually states if they were legally married.
Also gives the date of baptism
and later on if the child gets married it sometimes gives the date of the marriage and the name of the person they married at the bottom of the certificate.
BUT its all in Italian and sometimes the writing is difficult to make out but many people here are willing to help with that if you get into difficulty.
I'll try to scan one I have and try to post it here to let you have a look at one.
Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

You will need to click on the image to able to read it This may not be a good example because it says 'incerto padre' which means 'no father'.
If father's name was there it would also give his occupation etc. but it will give you an idea of what an Italian birth Act looks like.

Emmy

jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Emmy,

Thanks so much! How can you even read that? Geez, I can't understand a thing except for 1883 (haha) which, ironically, is when my great-grandmother was born.

I will take a closer look at this so I can try to figure it out...geneology is so much work!!! It's a good thing it's fun too, or I'm sure no one would ever do it!

Thanks again!

Jen
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Jen dont be put off.
I dont know much Italian but because I've been using the films you can get on loan from www.familysearch.org and through people on this and other forums helping me it surpring how quickly you can pick out the relevant pieces of information.
If you know the name of the place where your ancestors came from I'll post you the link if there's films of births acts etc available for that area.
I'm sending you a p.m.(private message)
Emmy
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Jen,

The birth acts like the one Emmy posted contain a wealth of information.
Birth date and time of birth
Parents' names, ages and occupations
Address where birth took place which in many cases is the home address
Witnesses with ages and occupations
And if the individual was married in the same town he/she was born, the date of marriage and spouse's name would be included as a notation in the margin.

As Emmy mentioned, once you get a feel for the documents it's relatively easy to locate the important information. I've found the toughest part is deciphering the handwriting.

Although I have not used the LDS microfilms yet, I have mailed a number of requests and have had great success receiving my grandparents' and great grandparents' integral birth and marriage records from the hometowns.

Best,
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hope this information will help you to work out the handwriting on the Italian documents when you get the films.

(Sorry but I'll need to post them separately)

Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Second sheet.

Emmy
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Hi Emmy!

What great documents! Are they your personal property? Is there a web address (not image shack) for them?

Many thanks, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Thanks, Emmy.
The samples you posted should prove very helpful.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

I cant take the credit for the handwriting samples.
They are not my property. When I was having difficulty making out the writing on the birth acts someone 'posted' them I'm sure it was on this forum. I remember asking if it was OK to give a copy to my FHC because I thought it would be a good resource for them to have on hand and I was told it was ok to do this-
But OH>>> those Senior Moments!!!! I just cant remember who gave me that help, but I'm sure they wouldnt mind me passing it on.
Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Meant to say if you want to print them off then you have to click on the image to enlarge it first and then print it in 'landscape' format when printing its page 2 that has the information you want.
Emmy