Help! Family Hist. Library contact & Italian language qu

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Help! Family Hist. Library contact & Italian language qu

Post by jenalonso »

Hey everyone,

I really need some help here. I am going to Naples, Italy in a couple of weeks to search for records & I still have not determined for sure where my great-grandparents were born. I think I have it narrowed down to Naples center (most likely), Succivo and/or Cesa (Caserta). I have exact birthdates & other info. I would also like to verify the spelling of the last name before I go.

Does anyone have a contact who lives near the Salt Lake City, UT library who would pull some rolls & do a search for me within the next 2 weeks? (the rolls take 3-4 weeks to order & I don't have enough time). I will gladly compensate them at a reasonable rate. Someone with some knowledge of Italian would be ideal.

Also, does anyone know what "processetti," "diversi" and "allegati" records are? I looked up the translation on the internet but it was no help. What kinds of records are these?

Thanks. :D

Jen
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Help! Family Hist. Library contact & Italian languag

Post by JohnArmellino »

Also, does anyone know what "processetti," "diversi" and "allegati" records are? I looked up the translation on the internet but it was no help. What kinds of records are these?
Processetti and allegati refer to those documents presented in contemplation of marriage. Generally, they include birth records of the prospective spouses, death records of predeceased parents, death records of grandparents when any parent is in fact deceased, death records of any prior spouses (usually only the last spouse), marriage banns, and promises to marry. In many areas of Southern Italy, processetti or allegati are available from 1809-1865.

Diversi are miscellaneous records and can include birth records of foundlings (proietti), deaths away from home, late recordings of deaths, recognitions of foundlings, adpotions, formal change of residence, deaths of unknown parties, and records of still-born children.
John Armellino
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help! Family Hist. Library contact & Italian languag

Post by Cathynap »

Jen,
You can order copies from specific microfilms for a small fee ($2 with a $4 minimum) but you do not have time to receive them. Your only chance is to call and see if they will fax or email you the records. Make sure when you call you have the microfilm numbers that correspond with each record you want. They are really nice there. I do not know the proper number to call so try these numbers: 801-240-2584 or 866-406-1830.
For brief research consultation by telephone, use one of these numbers:

801-240-2584
866-406-1830
I got this information here:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ontact.asp
Good luck!