emigration from italia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

emigration from italia

Postby jolynn » 30 Aug 2007, 11:41

hello all, does anyone have any idea which port would be used in 1902 to leave italy, if you had been living in cassino, my grandparent left italy in 1902 and sailed to england were she and her children stayed, also which port would they possibly have sailed too in england, in other words what was the main routings then to england, thankyou all, regards, john

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: emigration from italia

Postby suanj » 30 Aug 2007, 15:24

for to go in UK, the italians going in France normally ,and in some port of France, near UK coast, they imbarking
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 30 Aug 2007, 16:47

Hi John I have beeen searching for this information too and I had never thought about them leaving from France. (Thanks Suanji) But sadly there doesnt seem to be anything online available for people coming into UK from Italy or France.
A friend of mine did go to Kew Register House to check for me and she said some records were kept there but you did need to know the name of the ship they came on and the port they arrived at. I thought there would have been a data base where people could be traced by their surname or occupation. Very Very annoying!! Would have been easier to trace them if they had gone to USA - but if my grandparents had done that I would never had been born! :lol:
If I ever find the answer I'll post it here in BIG letters. :wink:
Emmy

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 30 Aug 2007, 19:27

thanks suanj and emmy, it is difficult in britain to obtain info as you say, all i know was they came in in august 1902, i wonder if there is a way of narrowing it down, i have my great grandmothers passport no. would that help, there is a no. on an alien registration card i have of her passport and it says issued by police in italia, could this help, any help appriciated, thanks john p.s. just another question, how would they have normally travelled to the french ports in 1902 from italia.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 30 Aug 2007, 19:51

for the italians emigrated in Uk have not ship's manifest, because no long travel, no big ship, only little ship for little trip, and not ship's manifest...
I don't know what was the french ports for the emigration in UK, and no copy of passports in Italy.. I don't know what can be helpful.... no records abt the trips... rgds, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 30 Aug 2007, 20:18

hello suanj, how would they have travelled through italia and france, what means would they have used back in 1902, regards, john

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 31 Aug 2007, 13:53

Sunaj does this mean there would be no records available about passengers travelling on small ships to the UK from France - were they not required to have lists of the passengers names?
Thank you
Emmy

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 31 Aug 2007, 14:30

Emmy, the travel from french ports or belgium ports, was no long travels, and the ships was little ship, and no was the ship's manifest.... so I know.... sometime the italians immigrated in Uk also by fishing-boat... however the ship's manifest of emigration was only for long travels in: Australia, America (north and south)...

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 31 Aug 2007, 14:41

hi suanj, the thing i am trying to find out is by what transport would they have travelled from cassino to the french ports before getting on the ship in 1902, thanks, regards, john

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 31 Aug 2007, 14:42

no, normally they travelled by railroad until the embarkation port... so from Cassino until to france, and to port for embarkation ship
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 31 Aug 2007, 14:58

hi suanj, thanks for that, and for you help, kind regards, john

mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mahart » 07 Sep 2007, 20:06

jolynn wrote:hi suanj, thanks for that, and for you help, kind regards, john
Hi Jolynn,
Just picked up on your postings. I have gained some expereience in tracing Italian immigrants to England during 19th century but 1902 makes things that more difficult because of the obvious lack of census material, however, not impossible. I don't know Cassino, Italy but a quick look on the map and the knowledge of the main ports and trade routes for the early 20th century for Italy and Uk would suggest that they if travelled by boat would have been from Naples to Liverpool, London, Bristol or possibly Cardiff. As usual Suanj is correct in that, the main migration route for Italians to UK and for centuries before was through France and trekking the river routes north to the ports Calais and Cherbourg.
I on't know your family name so may be worth posting it in case come across it.

There are records for passenger lists at National archives (apparently not complete) but for 1902 if I'm thinking correct it was law for ship captains to submit a passenger list to the port of arrival in the UK from about 1865 onwards. I have archive maritime connections for NW England so if they came this way then possibly I could help or at least gain further advice. Let me knoe their surname and other relevant details and I will try.
Regards Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 07 Sep 2007, 20:40

Mark I hope you dont mind me butting in on John's post but this is a fantastic piece of news you have just posted. I've been trying for many many years to trace when and how my grandparents came to England and have always came up against a brick wall I even had a friend go to the National Archives at Kew and she couldnt find anything listed. I hope you wont be offended if I give you details of my family too. just on the chance you can point me in the right direction where to look for information.
My grandparents names were Giovanni Battista De filippis and Francesca Bastianelli, they had a son Francesco who was born in 1883 in Italy. They travelled with my grand fathers brother Tommaso and his wife Fortunata Soave they had a daughter Maria Christina born in Italy. They came from Sant'Elia Fiumerapido Prov. Frosinone. I dont know the exct year they came here but my father was born in London in 1887 So I take it they travelled between 1884/1887 Their occupation when they first came to UK was 'interant musicians'
Thank you
Emmy

mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mahart » 07 Sep 2007, 21:09

Hi Emmy,
no problem, if I can help you I will as you have with me and others in the past. Just got back from an enjoyable holiday in Sardinia and as soon as I back up and running Ill start looking into it.

Regards Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 08 Sep 2007, 12:48

hello mark. my family came from cassino, their names were rosa marandola also known as, rosa conte and her daughter felicella conte in august 1902, the following year 1903, maria giuseppa conte and raphaele conte, thankyou so much, kind regards, john

Return to “Italian Genealogy”