Commune records on microfilm

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lmegliol

Commune records on microfilm

Post by lmegliol »

A microfilm I ordered from the local Family History Center came in yesterday and I found a birth record I was looking for. The microfilm also seems to have something called "pubblicaziones" or publications (I assume) from the commune on it. Since I can only read the most basic of Italian, I have no idea what these are. Without posting copies of these records, does anyone have any idea what these are?
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Commune records on microfilm

Post by BillieDeKid »

That would be the marriage banns. They had to be published (3 times I believe).

It lists the grooms name, his age, his father, fathers age, place of residence, mothers name, brides name, age, father, fathers age, place of residence and mothers name.

It has alot more but that's what the top of the document includes.

Elizabeth
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Look at the front sheets of the documents. Make sure the marriage banns apply to the comune you are researching. Sometimes there is more then one comune on the film so you have birth records of one comune and the marriage records from another. Some of the films for my towns have more then one comune on them...saved film I suppose!
lmegliol

Post by lmegliol »

Thanks for the information and tips. How far in advance of a marriage would the banns be published?
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

That is something I'm not too sure of. All of the documents I have for marriage (Pubblicazioni Di Matrimonio) are within a three week period of the first date. But I believe I read in one of the posts on this site that it doesn't necessarily mean that the wedding was carried out.

Maybe Essgee or someone else on the site that has more knowledge than I can shed some light on that for you.

Good luck.

Elizabeth