Newbie... with Abruzzo region question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PamB

Newbie... with Abruzzo region question

Postby PamB » 09 Sep 2007, 03:53

Greetings Everyone:

I'm new to your site but have spent the last week reading your past posts trying to educate myself. I''m really impressed with the depth of knowledge and everyone's willingness to jump in and help others... I'm hoping you can point me in a direction as I'm at a dead end.

My grandfather was Domenico Branco, born 15 Jan 1885 in Ferrandina, Matera (Basilicata), Italy. He arrived on Ellis Island on 13 Apr 1904.
My grandmother was Pasqua Teresa Maria Mase, born 21 May 1893 in Notaresco, Teramo (Abruzzo), Italy. I can't find her arrival via Ellis Island or Philadelphia. She married my grandfather, Domenico Branco, in Camden, NJ in 1915.

Here's my dilemma:

I ordered a copy of the Notaresco film from the LDS and was able to obtain my grandmother's birth record. From it, I was able to determine that her parents were Sabatino Mase and Angela Maria Tartaglia. Unfortunately, I could not find their marriage record in Notaresco and assume they married elsewhere. Now, I don't know how to go about finding their marriage record. Assuming they stayed in the same region, do you know if there's an index of all marriages in a region (in this case, Teramo)? Or, do you think I have to order films for each individual commune bordering Notaresco? Or, does anyone have a better suggestion (Please!!!).

Thanks for your help.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Newbie... with Abruzzo region question

Postby BillieDeKid » 09 Sep 2007, 05:27

http://castlegarden.org/quick_search_re ... &type=last

This is the link for Angela-Maria Tartaglia

The children are probably listed under her. I'll see if I can find anything else.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 09 Sep 2007, 05:42

I ordered a copy of the Notaresco film from the LDS and was able to obtain my grandmother's birth record. From it, I was able to determine that her parents were Sabatino Mase and Angela Maria Tartaglia. Unfortunately, I could not find their marriage record in Notaresco and assume they married elsewhere. Now, I don't know how to go about finding their marriage record.

If they were married in a different comune, but one of them was from Notaresco, then the marriage would have been entered in the pubblicazioni (marriage banns). That record, if found, will tell you what comune they were married in. If neither of them was from Notaresco, then look for their death records, which should tell you the name of the comune where they were born.
John Armellino

PamB

Postby PamB » 09 Sep 2007, 23:19

BillieDK:
Thanks for the fast response, but I don't think this is my Angela as she would have been born in 1878 and I know one of her daughters was born in 1885. I doubt whether she ever came to America. But thanks for taking the time to look.
Another question... I didn't realize Casle Garden was still in operation in 1902. I thought it closed down when Ellis Island opened???
Thanks, again.
Pam

PamB

Postby PamB » 09 Sep 2007, 23:26

JohnA:
Great ideas! I still have the Notaresco films at the local LDS and will check the Bans and Deaths. I was only looking at Births.
One strange thing is that Sabatino Mase and Angela Tartagia had 5 children, yet the only birth record I could find in Notaresco was my grandmothers (Pasqua Teresa Maria). (Thank God an elderly Aunt told me the name of the hometown before she passed away or I'd be in deep trouble!) Anyway, I'm beginning to wonder whether they were some type of migrant workers and moved around frequently. If that's the case, I'll need to mortgage my house to afford all the LDS films?!?!
Thanks, again.
I'll let you know how I make out.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 10 Sep 2007, 00:00

Hey PamB!
No doubt you've seen these records.
May help in your Notaresco record search.
Valarie

Mase

1907 manifest
page 2
Luigi Mase
line 2
father Sabatino
last residence Notaresco
born in Notaresco (abt 1887)

1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
Luigi Mase
born 22 May 1887
in Notaresco

edit: fixed image sizes

PamB

Postby PamB » 10 Sep 2007, 01:11

VJ:
Thanks a million! I did have the manifest but not the draft registration as I thought he returned to Italy before registration started. Interesting that he was born in Notaresco because I couldn't find him on the LDS microfilm. Sounds like I need to go through that film again.
Can I impose upon you to look at the manifest record you sent me and see if you can make out the name of the cousin he was going to join in Philadelphia? I can't figure it out.
Thanks, again. This has been really helpful!

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 10 Sep 2007, 13:01

Boy that's tough!
Can't tell which is the surname...
If it's the first word - Piecoro?

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 10 Sep 2007, 14:33

Picciono / Piccioro (???) Gelsomino...
Maybe Picciano....

Ciao.
Laura

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Sep 2007, 14:51

Piccioni Gelsomino from Notaresco, arrived in Oct 01, 1907 http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0531%2ETIF
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

PamB

Postby PamB » 17 Sep 2007, 00:28

Thanks Guys. Now I have another line to pursue. Pam

Return to “Italian Genealogy”