Interesting dilemma

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Interesting dilemma

Post by BillieDeKid »

I've been gather information from my LDS films and was very excited to find my grandmothers brothers birth acts (of course I can't find her's). So I copied them to a CD and brought them home to translate and study them to hopefully gain additional informatiion about my great grandparents. I'd like to find their birth acts and marriage banns etc.

So I looked at the first birth act and find that my great grandpa's age is 30, in 1871 and my great grandma's age is 26. Sounds great! Then I look at the next child 1875 and my great grandpa's age is 40, the next child in 1879 - great grandpa 40, next child 1881 great grandpa 40, 1886 age 40, 1890 age 40 1891 age 40 1897 age 40!!!!! So I look at my grandparents marriage banns in 1908 and he's deceased age 70!!! Ah to be 40 forever.

And yes, I'm positive these are the correct birth acts of the children and marriage banns of my grandparents.

Makes it tough to figure out what years to look for his birth act. I think I'll stick with the age he was with his first child since that was the only one that listed my great grandma's age too.

Just thought this might make an interesting read for some of you that are being thrown curve balls in your search.

Wish me luck and have a great Sunday all!!!

Elizabeth
Emmy
Master
Master

Re: Interesting dilemma

Post by Emmy »

Hi Elizabeth
I have found the same re the age of the parents on the Italian birth acts of their children. (When and if you find the record of death of the parent it gives a better idea what year to look up for their birth act.)
On one of my ancestors records the wife was only getting a year older when there was about 4 years between the births and she was always 2 years older than her husband but when I found their death records she was actually 4 years younger than her husband. I thought that was really odd. Maybe this came about because many of them couldnt read or write -

but as you say a good way to keep young- I think I should be trying that out too now He He!! Just wonder how many years I could knock off and get away with it!!
Emmy
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I agree Emmy! I'm going to try it out too. If the registrar's thought my great grandpa looked 40 for 30 years I MUST come from GREAT genes!! ha ha
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

They all lied! I have found the same thing too. Once they hit age 25 or so they started lying about their age. I have found many birth acts from many different families and 40 must have been the magic age. :? This makes me recall a family story though. My aunt is 15 years younger than her next sibling - my grandparents were in their 40's when she was born. My eldest aunt told me that everyone thought this was shameful and shocking for a couple so "old" to have a baby. So perhaps that is why they lied. That or vanity! :lol:
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Lets face it ladies, we're all Italians and WE ALL come from good genes!!! I think they had a good handle on one thing..................FORTY FOREVER!!! I for one am glad that I'm forty and not my real age (which obviously is a bit older)!! ha ha

Here's wishing my forty year old friends a great evening!

Elizabeth
CaliDon

Post by CaliDon »

Another possibility:
Who actually presented the information to the civil authorities? It was not always a parent. As a result, the exact ages at birth might not be known. The same can be said about ages at death. The older the person, the less chance of knowing the exact agefrewer people would know. Probably the the most accurate would be ages onthe marriage certificates, since the their were 3 banns and birth certificates were involved in the process. Also you see many ages as 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, and as a result, I usually chalk those up to a guess on someone's part. I have gone through 1000s of certificates. This is not a 100% pattern, but is something to look for. Who actually is the witness. I have seen midwifes, grandmothers, fathers, and no known relation (probably a close family friend) to the family. The reality of vanity is also a very real possibility.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

This thread had made me think so I went and checked my grandfathers birth certificate and that of his parents..

I thought it was shocking when I learned my great grandfather was 50 when his son was born, but then I saw my great grandmother was 54....something doesn't make sense here..

Yes, Elizabeth..I love being "40" and have for the longest time! :wink: It really is a great age, isn't it?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Amen to that Nuccia!!!! We're not getting older.....We're getting better!!

And CaliDon - my great grandfather was the person, each time, that came before the registrar.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Nuccia said
I thought it was shocking when I learned my great grandfather was 50 when his son was born,
Why oh Why was you shocked 8O at that Nuccia :?: :?:
Just wait till you get there!
There's a saying that goes- There's many a fine tune played on an old fiddle!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Emmy

ps My dad beat your G grandfather's record - he was 51 when I was born :roll: :lol: :lol: this is true!!