Stuck - Need possible next steps

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Stuck - Need possible next steps

Post by Clicker »

Hi All

I am new to the forum and I wouldn't mind any advice you could lend me. I have been doing my search and have decided to stick to my paternal line first. I felt it might be a good place to start since the family name is not usual and it's very likely that the name all belongs to one family. I started off not even knowing very much about my nono (he passed away when I was young) and I have manged to trace back as far into Italy to my great great great grandfather....but now I am stuck. I have written to all the possible towns, churches and family members in Italy and have gotten quite a bit of information...but now I seem to have hit a wall. Have any of you dealt with this? how did you get yourself out of it? Is there another place I can go to in Italy for records? I can probably follow up with a few more towns that are suspected places...but I am really at a loss as to my next steps. The family name I am looking for is Talamelli from Fano, Pesaro-Urbino in the Marche region. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Stuck - Need possible next steps

Post by jenalonso »

Wow, that's pretty far back. Do you mind if I ask how you got the records or information from Italy? Did you go there?
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Hi Jenalonso

No I don't mind if you ask at all. I pretty much had a feeling that any Talamelli name would be related to me and fairly closely as the only Talamelli's in Canada are immediate family and although I do not know my American relations...I do know we are also closely related as my Great Grandfather who immigrated to Canada had at least one brother and sister who immigrated to Connecticut. In fact, my grandfather's honeymoon was spent in Connecticut...I have no idea why the family lost contact. Anyhow, I knew from family lore that Fano was the town our family was associated with and I simply wrote to Italy, fortunately I had a few family members who wrote back and we were able to connect (they however, did not have too much to offer) I also did write to the town and got a few answers as well AND a few years back my sister went to Italy and hooked up with the family members I contacted and they took her to a few churches and the city hall etc...were she was able to get a bit more information from that so as a result I have a handful of incomplete records of birth death and marriage for about three generations back. The rest was just records research in the provincial archives up here and a few records books. I am dying to go to Italy myself and am hoping to soon. I kind of think I need to explore a little town called Gualdo Tadino just on the border in the mountains of Umbria, I wrote to family names there (I got all the addresses from the Italian white pages) and they never replied...however, there seems to be a big concentration of them there and I wonder what the connection is..perhaps the family actually orginated from there and not Fano area?. The other theory I am exploring is that the family name orginates from a little town called Talamello also in Pesaro-Urbino province...just a wild guess but i kind of wonder if several generations ago the family simply took the town name and eventually migrated away.....Just a wild guess, but as I say I am stuck and am not sure what my next steps could be...maybe I need a professional for a little bit just to unhinge things a bit???
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Hey Clicker,

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. The reason I asked is because I, unfortunately, have gotten even less information than you did with all my research. But the reason is there's a 99% chance my great-grandfather changed their last name when he came here to the U.S. and no one knows the original name.

I appreciate the info you gave me, though, because it just kind of confirms my suspicion that I will eventually have to physically go to Naples to look for the info I'm seeking.

On the professional research thing, after thoroughly researching all U.S. sources (& writing to Italy with NO responses), I recently used a company called International Research in Salt Lake City, Utah and they found a birth record pretty fast & cheaply for me BUT.....I gave them the exact roll of film (from FHL) with the exact town & birthdate in Italy. Not sure if your research would be as fast or cheap.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Best of luck with your search!
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Clicker,

This link show's the Talamelli's that came through the US. Look over the manifests, especially the sections of closest relatives in country from where he/she came from and the section on where they are going to. It might give you some insight as to relatives you have and just don't know it. Also, there are additional areas listed besides the one's you suggested for where your family came from.

Hope it might help.

Elizabeth

http://ellisisland.jewishgen.org/gold.p ... ECTION=asc
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Hi Elizabeth

Thanks so much for the link. I have already researched those, but it was fun to revisit them again, kinda gets the juices flowing (when you get stuck your motivation kinda leaves you) One tip I would have with Ellis Island for anyone out there is to really dig and don't rely on just the search by name or even on the search by 'sounds like' or similar spellings...follow your hunches and look up ships that have a group of passengers from the area your relatives come from....for example, for my family name, on the my search list of family names, nowhere is there a Giocomo Talamelli...that's becuase he is not in the search listings at all (mispelled or otherwise) BUT I did find his name listed by looking up ship names and it turns out that it is my Great Grandfather who immigrated in 1906...
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Clicker: as far I know .... Talamelli surname was in Mondulfo town http://www.piccioli.com/genealogia/faml ... =Talamelli
and this seem the first knew Talamelli born in 1684http://www.piccioli.com/genealogia/family.php? ... ed#content

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Was hoping it might be helpful, at least one of them was going to Connecticut and you mentioned relatives there that your family had lost touch with, they may have information and/or sources that you might be able to draw from. Also at least one of the manifests the person was going to canada and listed cousins that didn't have the last name of Talamelli thought it might be another source to tap.

Good luck with your search.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

suanj

WOW, what information!, extremely interesting. but I have to tell you, not one connection, but there must be somewhere. My g-g-g grandfather was Giovanni Talamelli married to Vittoria Cecchi...they had three sons (as I know so far) Domenico (my great great grandfather born in 1842 in fano) Benedetto born in 1840 and Eugenio born in 1848...all in Fano. Now Mondolpho is not that far from Fano really....there very well could be something here....of particular interest is the listing for Angela Talamelli...becuase her spouse is listed as Antonio Zandri...my great grandfather's wife (my great grandmother) was Luigia Zandri. Now I have to put this all to paper....but although there is no obvious connection there is something here I am sure. I will get back to you in a little bit and see if I can connect the dots.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

This Talamelli of Mondulfo, I believe they are only a branche of the Talamelli family in Mondulfo, and for to find more it is necessary to know the parent's names of Giovanni.... I believe that the website author http://www.piccioli.com/genealogia/presentazione_e.php can help you, because he made search also in fano common and maybe can have some other info..... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Suanj

OK I did cross check all of those names and indeed they are a branch, but not mine. I think with the proximity of Mondolfo to some of my key city names like Fano and Cartoceto, the line may come together at some point, but unfortunately no connection now. Thanks a million, let me know if there is any other insight you can give me. Regards.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Hi there Suanj

Just an FYI Roberto Piccioli declined to help me at all and will not share any additional information. Thanks for the lead though at least I can dig through that lead to find out more.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

edited by me

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH