DeSimone and Napolitano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

DeSimone and Napolitano

Postby NOLA » 17 Sep 2007, 14:39

Hi,

I am looking for info on my maternal Grandparents. Giuseppe DeSimone born in l867 in Somma Vesuviana (prov. di Napoli); and Maria Michela Napolitano born in 1881. They left Italy for Brazil and I think were married there in 1897. Two children were born there, Antonio in 1903 and Rosina in 1905. They returned to Italy and then went to America. Giuseppe in febbraio l907 and Maria in agosto l907. They were both residents of Saviano. I think that my grandmother was born there. The two children died in a cholera epidemic that occured after the eruption of Vesuvius. I actually saw the two chidlren in rough wooden coffins (they used to take these pictures). Any help would be appreciated.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: DeSimone and Napolitano

Postby wldspirit » 17 Sep 2007, 17:10

May be a repeated question, but have you checked to see if the town of origin was microfilmed by the Lds?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 17 Sep 2007, 21:13

Manifest for Maria Michela. Going to her husband Giuseppe in Bridgeport Conncecticut- 1907. Maybe someone can check the 1910 census records and see if they were still there in 1910.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0512%2ETIF

NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NOLA » 17 Sep 2007, 22:03

Thanks all. I did check the LDS Comune file, but they didn't have anything for these two places. As far as I know, my grandparents DeSimone never lived in Conn. but this could be something that I didn't know about. I understand that a lot of Italian Americans did live in Conn. because they harvested tobacco there. I'll check into it. Thanks...

NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NOLA » 17 Sep 2007, 22:11

Billy you are a winner. This is definitely her. But I didn't notice anything about Connecticut. Her father seems to have bee here, and they did go to Brooklyn. In fact, she lived in Brooklyn, NY, most of her life. Giuseppe did file his first papers in 1929. The search for DeSimones and Napolitanos is really only for genealogy purposes. I will attach a picture of them tomorrow. My Rubino side was really easy to find, and I used all the documents to apply for dual citizenship in NY. Thanks again.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 17 Sep 2007, 22:29

Hi Nola,

The following link is for the LDS film. It goes from 1809 to 1865. I know both grandparents were born after 1865 but you may be able to find marriage records for their parents. I believe the manifest for your grandmother lists her fathers name as Antonio. Also, if the italian naming convention was followed assuming that the two children that died were their first boy and girl than Giuseppes father's name would be Antonio DeSimone and Giuseppes mother was Rosina (we don't know last name). So if you look for your great grandfather's marriage banns and you see his name with a woman with the first name Rosina it would be a good chance they are your great grandparents. Also look for marriage banns for Antonio Napolitano.

Just thinking out loud, thought if you find the great grandmothers names you might be able to contact their relatives still in Saviano (might still be some old timers around) for information.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Hope this might prove to be helpful
Elizabeth

NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NOLA » 17 Sep 2007, 22:33

Billy,

Yes, that is my intention....to go to Saviano and see if there is anyone left. We already went to Somma Vesuviana, but they didn't have any records. It seems that a lot was destroyed in the eruption of 1906. Of course, I could try in Napoli citta`. Tomorrow I'll go back on the link you sent me and see if I can find something about GGF. It's really exciting!

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 17 Sep 2007, 22:34

Sorry Nola,

My bad, yes it is Brooklyn. I was associating the line above (Bridgeport, CN) with her. It should be the line below which is Brooklyn.

As far as my request for someone to check Bridgeport census -SCRATCH THAT!!

Glad it was the right manifest.
Elizabeth

NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NOLA » 18 Sep 2007, 17:52

Thanks again, Elizabeth. I am going to try and order the LDS microfilm if they have it for these two comune. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Grazie,
Nola

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 18 Sep 2007, 18:34

You're so welcome and yes let me know what you find.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”