1910 Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: 1910 Census

Post by BillieDeKid »

Ok. Everyone put their heads together on this one. I'll try to keep it short and explain.

In searching the LDS microfilms I found my GG grandfather - Bruno Tedesco. He had a child names Alfonso Tedesco which is my G grandfather. I found my G grandfathers marriage banns and they say Tedeschi. I found all the birth acts except for my grandmothers and Alfonso's first 2 children had the surname of Tedesco and the rest of them had Tedeschi. I found almost all of their marriage banns also and the surnames all said Tedeschi.

Soooooo..........Now I find that Francesco came to america, which is what we've all been looking for. And nothing to indicate that he returned to Italy that we know of. So now this is driving me crazy, I've been searching everything I can and about 30 minutes ago I thought I'll just look at Tedesco's coming to america from Brognaturo, Simbario or Spadola. What do I find? He came back again in 1914 and he went to the town in Wisconsin where my grandfather was and where I was born!!! He also says he's been in america before in Chicago! It's the same guy in this manifest as it is on my post at the beginning of the this thread!

page 1

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016

page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on? And why he'd use 2 different surnames? Wouldn't he have had to have 2 different passports?

Elizabeth
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Two forms of the same name...though Tedeschi is the one from Bragnaturo. Where my ancestors came from there is the name Di Lilla. Next comune over Di Liello, then Di Lallo, then Liello. All forms of the same name.

This is a great find...but it does mean that Giuseppini...so far...has not come to the US> It appeared he was in the US in 1903....then the arrival you first found and then the one in 1914. Said in the US from 1913? Possibly the last time he had been in the US...he may not have been here for the 1910 census...could have returned, though those that worked here often stayed for 3 years or so at a stretch.

Keep digging....looks like you are on to something! Great Job!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Thanks Essgee but wouldn't he had to have 2 passports? One with Tedeschi and one with Tedesco?

And why travel under one name one time and then the second name a second time?

Any ideas?

Elizabeth
Gallo1975
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gallo1975 »

Billie-

Send me your email and I will email you the draft cards then you can decide which ones are correct.
Always looking for info on: Gallo, Perillo, Stelatto, Morganelli, Cutarelli, Aniello/Aiello, Langella, Garitta/Aritta, Hayward, Nicolson & will be happy to swap info too!
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Hi Eilizabeth,

Because he came in with different names both times does not necessarily mean that he had 2 passports. My grandfather did the same thing and the names were spelled differently. With the quantity of errors seen, I believe the people filling out the manifests did so with an oral interview not checking their passports.....which was kind of crazy but they were also testing their basic comprehension. So it all depended on how good the American's ear was.........they wrote it the best the could understand it....mixing up vowels, dropping endings, etc.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Ciao Elizaberth,

only to resume....

Francesco Nicola Tedeschi (born 1884) married Maria Giuseppina Coda in 1908...
In the manifest of his arrival in 1909 he declared to go to Oakland NJ to his friend Bava Nicola and that he was in USA from 1900 to 1903 (the wife is in Italy) , in 1914 there is another arrival and he declared he was in USA in Chicago and to go to his brother in Law Coda Vincenzo (his wife's brother) in Winsconsin- Mineral Point (but his wife Giuseppina is in Italy)....
Did you see that in the act of marriage Maria Giuseppa's father is Bruno Coda and he is abroad?
Maybe we can search Bruno.... and maybe Giuseppina never left Italy...
I hope have understand well... please correct me if I'm wrong, so I can search better..
Laura :)
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Yes I have the marriage banns and Maria Giuseppa's father is Bruno Coda, I don't know if he was abroad.

In 1909 Francesco Tedeschi was going to Oakland NJ he's going to his brother-in-law Nicola Bava.
He was here again in 1914, that manifest says he was in US before in Chicago (before his trip in 1909) and in 1914 says he's going to my hometown to his brother-in-law Vincenzo Coda, no Giuseppina with him.

His 1914 trip he used the name Francesco Tedesco.

I have all the marriage banns for Francesco and his name says Tedeschi but his birth act (I have) says Tedesco. His father (my great grandfather) was born as Alfonzo Tedesco and married as Tedesco but after his first two children were born all the papers say Alfonso Tedeschi. Alfonzo's father was Bruno Tedesco and it stayed as Tedesco.

This is probably getting confusing the way I'm explaining it.
Elizabeth
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Thank you very much Elizabeth....
Now I understand well...
I'm sorry but I'm just exercising with your language, so sometimes I don't understand well...

Only one thing...
Maria Giuseppa's father Bruno Coda surely was abroad because in the Marriage act is written that he is "all'estero" .... Do you think that this is a wrong information on the document?
Laura :)

Please be patient with me... this is a really English school for me!!! :wink:
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Don't feel bad, you understand very well and this is Italian school for me. I learn new words and phrases here everyday.

I see what you're saying about estero, so he must have been in another country when they got married in 1908 and his age was 60 so he was probably born about 1848.

Bruno is Maria Giuseppa's father. She is married to my great uncle (my grandmothers brother - Francesco Tedeschi).

I never did a search on Bruno since he was Maria Giuseppa's father, maybe I should search for him just to see where he went. You never know maybe Francesco ended up with him.

Elizabeth