Surname "ZONA"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Morningstar

Surname "ZONA"

Postby Morningstar » 24 Sep 2007, 04:04

Hello
Am wondering if someone can help me here? Am trying to find the family of Zona of Trieste Italy.
My great great grand father when he cam e to America changed his name to John Edward Jones and was born in 1835. I have a letter from his mother in Trieste Italy that mentions he has a brother named Pinni{i don't know what that means} his mother's name was Maria Zona . I don't know why he left there or if he ever even wrote her back because in the letter it had been a great many years since she had heard from him.
In America he lived and died in Charleston SC and married Catherine Rosa Morgan .
If any one can help me I would be greatfull. I know no Italian so don't know where to start.I do know there is a very large bussiness in the Trieste area with the name Zona on it.
Thanks
Morningstar

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Surname "ZONA"

Postby liviomoreno » 24 Sep 2007, 06:27

Searching on the White pages I found only 1 person named Giovanni Zona.

Morningstar

Postby Morningstar » 24 Sep 2007, 15:10

Thank you
I wentintothe Trieste Italy sight via this site and found a lot of stuff concerning the name Zona by just typeing in the name in its search box,only problem was it is all in Italian and I can't read any of it ,I can't even tell if there is a link that will turn it around to english.
But thanks much.
Morningstar

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 24 Sep 2007, 15:43

Morningstar wrote:Thank you
I wentintothe Trieste Italy sight via this site and found a lot of stuff concerning the name Zona by just typeing in the name in its search box,only problem was it is all in Italian and I can't read any of it ,I can't even tell if there is a link that will turn it around to english.
But thanks much.
Morningstar

As I said in my previous post there is only one individual with surname Zona.
In Italian the word "zona" means area, zone, place; all the other stuff that you saw with the word zona refer to local agencies (Ente) for the industrial area of Trieste, and there is also a Police office...

Sirena
Elite
Elite

Postby Sirena » 24 Sep 2007, 16:46

Pinni might be short for Giuseppe...Giuseppini.......Joey

Return to “Italian Genealogy”