Can anyone help me find Roscilli ( Cevaro Frosinone)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
terross

Can anyone help me find Roscilli ( Cevaro Frosinone)

Postby terross » 01 Oct 2007, 19:43

Hi i am trying to trace any relitives or info regarding Antonio Roscilli from Cevaro born approx 1881, his father Giovanni Roscilli believed to have been a church secretary, Antonio had brothers and a sister we think ?. Antonio may have worked as a young lad/man in a bakery before coming to the UK,

Can anyone help

Many Thanks

millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Can anyone help me find Roscilli ( Cevaro Frosinone)

Postby millybobs » 02 Oct 2007, 21:51

Hi Terross
Welcome to the forum. The LDS (Mormon Church) has birth records on various microfilms for Cervaro from 1816 to 1944 so it might be worth ordering the relevant film if you have access to a LDS Family History Centre. If you don't know how to order or the location of your nearest FHC let me know your location in UK.
Paul

millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Postby millybobs » 02 Oct 2007, 22:00

Hi again.

The link you'll need to view the available films on Cervaro is below.

Cervaro (FR)

Paul

terross

Postby terross » 03 Oct 2007, 10:01

Hi Paul,Thankyou very much, i live in the northeast, can you point me to the right place

terross

Postby terross » 03 Oct 2007, 10:22

Hello again Paul, will i be able to read these films, as i dont know any italian at all

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 03 Oct 2007, 12:31

The lds provides common genealogy terms found within the films, in both Latin and Italian. They can be purchased at the center or found at the following links:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... LLatin.ASP

Also, some common abbreviations found in older documents:

http://lnx.bertotti.it/genealogia/modul ... =21&page=1

hope this is helpful,
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Postby millybobs » 03 Oct 2007, 14:05

Terross,
I don't speak the language either but as Wldspirit says, there is help available through the LDS and online, and of course, through this forum. I've only started researching my Italian ancestors recently and have had loads of help from other forum members. I've found them to be a great bunch of people and always willing to help when they can. Admittedly the films are not easy to read but if you find what you're looking for and can get a copy you can always post it here and get help.

Your nearest FHC is at The Linkway, Billingham. Tel 01642 56316. You might need to check the phone number as I suspect there may be a digit missing. They may have limited opening hours and you'll need to go in first and order the films you need. Let us know how you get on.

Do you know when your ancestors came to the UK? Have you found them on any UK censuses or was it after 1901?

Paul

millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Postby millybobs » 03 Oct 2007, 14:27

Wldspirit
You guys are such a fountain of knowledge. I've not seen the Bertotti link before but it looks like an excellent resource. I'm sure I'll find the Latin list useful too, as I have Polish Catholic ancestors as well and many of the documents there were in Latin.

I bought a booklet from the LDS entitled 'Finding Records of your Ancestors, Part A, ITALY 1809 - 1910' which I've found very useful. (I think Part B covers later dates). It discusses each of the main documents (Births, marriages, deaths and Processetti), illustrates examples and explains the overall content, and gives tips on where to find the key information.

The LDS also produces an Italian letter-writing guide.

Do you know if these are also available on-line as I'm sure they would be useful to many, especially to non-Italian speakers?
Paul

terross

Postby terross » 06 Oct 2007, 09:45

Paul you are great, The date Antonio Roscilli came over here is not known, all i have is a marriage certificate, married in Sunderland 1905 aged 24 to Annie Filby, but went by the name Anthony Ross and on there is his fathers name John Ross who we now believe to be Giovanni Roscilli a church secretary, and they are suppose to have come from Cervero, so i am now trying to find out who Giovanni was married to and other children, it is thought that Antonio left behind at least 2 brothers and 1 sister, 1 brother may have been a priest ? and sister a postie ?

millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Postby millybobs » 06 Oct 2007, 13:58

Terros

my family interest is in the name RISI which I've found is often wrongly transcribed as 'RISS' in UK censuses. Consequently I sometimes come across 'ROSS' names showing place of birth as Italy when searching.

1901 census shows a Anthony ROSS, born Italy, at 3 Taylor's Yard, Nottingham; aged 21, stone labourer, married to an Elizabeth ROSS, 21, born Paris, France; daughter Mary ROSS, 6m, b Nottingham. (Ref RG13/3170/33/26). Any connection? (I guess ROSS could be an aglicised version of ROSSI as well as ROSCILLI)

There were also a Johanna ROSS and Maria ROSS (b Italy) in Stoke Newington and a Francesco ROSS in Manchester.

Paul

mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mahart » 06 Oct 2007, 16:03

Hi Paul, and Terros,

Below are some other useful sites for Italian language and record translation:

Eg's of LDS BIRTH, MARRIAGE & DEATH RECORDS with translations
http://www.comunesofitaly.org/tools_ruth_nerud

'finding Records of your ancestors in Italy 1809 to 1910. Is this the booklet you are referring too Paul. I stumbled across it.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... cestor.asp

Great site for tranlating Italian occupations to English
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... ljobs.html

Hope these sites are some help

Regards Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark

terross

Postby terross » 07 Oct 2007, 09:11

Thanks very much Mark

terross

Postby terross » 07 Oct 2007, 09:15

Paul this is not the same Anthony Ross, but thanks anyway, My Anthony Ross married in Sunderland 1905 to Annie Filby and later moved to Hartlepool were he died in 1934

Return to “Italian Genealogy”