Advice about cost for look-up in Italia please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Advice about cost for look-up in Italia please

Postby gennattasio » 10 Oct 2007, 07:21

Can anyone give some input on what one should expect the cost to be for a look-up in Italia. What documentation should be expected for what price, cost if nothing is found, what access to people have to documents there, etc.? If I went myself would I be given access to my family's documents? Thanks for any advice.

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Advice about cost for look-up in Italia please

Postby Poipuo4 » 10 Oct 2007, 14:40

Try to contact ricbru on this page. He does this service from Italy. He can give you the exact prices. However, have you tried to get things yourself via mail? If you know a little info, like the name, comune, birthdate or at least the birth year, you can get an atto di nascita by writing a letter to the comune. I have had success with this several times and so far, no one has charged me...not even for postage. In Italy there are certain privacy laws. I do not believe you will have access to documents unless they are 75 yrs. old, but ricbru would know better. Also, my gm's comune has certain days where the archives are open to the public to look at their records. If you are planning a trip, check the website of your ancestral comune for this info.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Postby gennattasio » 10 Oct 2007, 16:12

Thanks for the response. On the manifests they are listed as coming from Oppido Mamertina Reggio Calabria. I am not 100% that this is where they were born. I am in the process of searching the microfilm at LDS but would like to do all I can to move things along. No, I have not tried by mail. I don't want to make a trip to Oppido until I am certain the records I need are there and I can access them. I was thinking to pay someone just to see if the records are in Oppido. Yes, they are over 75 yrs. old.

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Postby Poipuo4 » 10 Oct 2007, 16:27

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/calabri ... labria.asp

Try the website above for form letters to the comune. If you know the year of birth, it is worth a try. In my case, I got the year of birth wrong and had to send three different requests. Eventually, I got the right year and the act of birth and it cost nothing. The key is that most comunes won't search the records if you only give them vague information. You have to be as exact as you can.

You can also contact sunaj. She is in business with Riccardo. She posts alot here or look on the translation board and ask her for her fees.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia

Emmy
Master
Master

Postby Emmy » 10 Oct 2007, 17:53

Have you tried posting their names here and giving all the information you have at present
Emmy

gennattasio
Veteran
Veteran

Postby gennattasio » 10 Oct 2007, 18:08

Thanks, great advice. I have the birth dates from ssdi and death certs. for my grandfather and his sibs but not for my ggf and ggm. Ggf is a mystery for birth and death. I have my ggm's death cert from NY and on this document one side says she is 66 yrs. old born in 1878 and the side filled out by the doctor says she is 71 born in 1873. The birth years on the manifest and census records vary from 1871 to 1876. Manifest records for ggf give birth years from 1860 to 1864. I'll try sending form letters for my gf and his sibs.
Is there a database for addresses to send requests to for each comune in Reggio di C.? Thanks for all the excellent input.
I believe I have all the census records, manifests, (all with the name misspelled), death rec., ssdi rec.for everyone but ggf and ggm.
Francesco Condò (ggf) 1860-1864 IT
Francesca Risidi Condò (ggm) 1871-1878 IT
Children:
Concetta Condò (Savica) 12/8/1889 IT
Marianna Condò 2/28/1893 IT
Giuseppe P Condò (gf) 8/2/1897 IT
Maria Condò 1899 IT
Filomena Condò 10/25/1904 NJ or NY
Laura Condò (Sangiuliano) 8/17/1905 NJ or NY

Emmy
Master
Master