needles in a brazilian haystack

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dvaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

needles in a brazilian haystack

Postby dvaccaro » 10 Oct 2007, 18:50

according to family lore, my great-grandfather, Giuseppe Cosentino emigrated with his family to Sao Paolo, Brazil sometime around 1900 to work on a coffee plantation. the story says that the family returned to Italy, leaving 4 daughters in Sao Paolo to live their lives and raise families. my great-grandfather then came to America by himself in 1903.

using FHC microfilms for their town of origin, i have only been able to find 2 daughters who lived past infancy, Mariantonia and Caterina Cosentino. i have to assume that somehow (maybe later), at least these two women ended up in Sao Paolo.

so, here's what i have:

Mariantonia Cosentino (b. 6 May 1889, San Nicola da Crissa, Italy).
Caterina Cosentino (b. 29 Jul 1894, San Nicola da Crissa, Italy).

they are the daughters of Gregorio Cosentino (b. 8 May 1856) and Rosamaria Martino (b. abt 1858). their brother (my great-grandfather) was Giuseppe Cosentino (b. 15 Aug 1884).

i ask you, the wise and wonderful people of italiangenealogy.com, where do i even start looking for the families of these women? i apparently have relatives in Sao Paolo, but very, very little go go on...

thanks,

Dean
~ Santa Ninfa, Trapani, Sicily ~
~ San Nicola da Crissa, Catanzaro, Italy ~

drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: needles in a brazilian haystack

Postby drovedo » 11 Oct 2007, 17:17

Have you checked out the database for Sao Paolo yet?

dvaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby dvaccaro » 11 Oct 2007, 20:13

i have not. what/where is the "database for Sao Paolo"?
~ Santa Ninfa, Trapani, Sicily ~

~ San Nicola da Crissa, Catanzaro, Italy ~

atilatini

Postby atilatini » 11 Sep 2009, 06:40

Hello, Dean,

I guess I can help you. My grandmother is Maria Antonia Cosentino. The family is in Sao Paulo, Brazil (where I live) since te early 1900's.

All the best,

Atila

Return to “Italian Genealogy”