Adopted children in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Adopted children in Italy

Postby Gina501 » 10 Oct 2007, 20:52

I am wondering if anyone out there has had any luck with this.
My great grandfather was a foundling. Until recently the family had no idea about his past at all. I was able to find out that his name was inverted upon entering Ellis Island. I also was able to find his actual birth record and the actual record of his entry into the foundling home. There were no further notations about who his real parents were but the birth record shows the address of the home he was born at.

Is this a dead end? I am wondering if there is anything else I can pursue? Is there anything that anyone else has done to further their research? I have created a website
http://ginag501.googlepages.com
in the hopes that someone out there, especially in Italy sees it and contacts me. Or maybe knows something that relates to my family.

Thanks for reading.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Adopted children in Italy

Postby Gina501 » 11 Oct 2007, 14:19

I'm sorry...I should have written that my great grandfather was Ignazio Carmeloni (became Carmeloni Ignazio when he came to America) and he was born in Pavia in Lombardia.
Gina

Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby drovedo » 11 Oct 2007, 17:42

Was he listed anywhere as a "stateless" person?

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 11 Oct 2007, 18:01

I'm sorry, I don't know what that means?
Gina

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 15 Oct 2007, 14:48

Does anyone else know what a "stateless" person is? I am wondering if this is something else I need to look into.
Gina

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 15 Oct 2007, 22:08

Gina –

The Infant Abandonment System was designed to protect the anonymity of the parents of the abandoned infant. Although I suspect many of these infants were abandoned by unwed mothers, that wasn't always the case. Sometimes a married couple with no means to care for their newborn infant would abandon the child to the foundlings' home. I have run across records [atti di recognizione] where such a couple had reclaimed their legitimate child, who they had abandoned at an earlier date. This didn’t happen very often. In the 44 years between 1822 and 1865, 65 atti di recognizione were recorded in Campobasso. During this same period, 1705 infants were abandoned in Campobasso.

The system did, in fact, protect the identity of the parents. To my knowledge, the only way to discover the identity of a foundling's parents is through (1) atti di recognizione, which records were usually kept with atti di diversi, (2) family anecdotes, which cannot be sourced with a high level of surety, and (3) DNA testing, which might be used to confirm a family anecdote. I know of no records of any ruota di proietti [foundlings’ home], with the exception of those of the Foundlings’ Home in Bologna, which records were used as source material by David I. Kertzer for Sacrificed For Honor, his book about the Italian Infant Abandonment System.
John Armellino

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 15 Oct 2007, 22:42

Hi John. Thanks for the info. I guess I'm not in luck. He was never reclaimed by his parents and there are records of entry into the foundling home. I have his record but unfortunately no names are recorded, as I was told would be the case. Only clue was that the address was listed of the house he was born in. I don't think it does me any good to look at records of Pavia to see who lived in that house because the mother could have been anyone. She could have gone to that location just to give birth or could have been a relative of someone who lived at that address or it could have been the midwife's home or on and on and on. I'm just exhausting all my options at this point. But thanks for the help.
Gina

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby peggymckee » 16 Oct 2007, 11:09

Hi Gina--

Why not post the address? Who knows--someone may be able to tell you something. BTW, I looked at your website--congratulations on a beautiful work of love!

Good luck, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 16 Oct 2007, 15:42

Hi Peggy. Thank you for saying that. I truly appreciate the compliment. It was my first attempt at a website and I realize it's a little primitive compared to most, but I wanted something up to get the name out. I am hoping for some recognition from Italy. You make a good point about posting the address - I hadn't thought of that. I wrote to the address but it seems to not be in existance anymore. But I'll post it in case someone out there remembers it.

My great grandfather was born at Via Iacopo Bossolaro No. 3, Pavia, Lombardia. The parents are unknown but the midwife was Amalia Brambilla, widow of Giuseppe Rovati.
Gina

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 16 Oct 2007, 16:00

Hi Gina

Just a thought - was Amalia Brambilla a midwife or could she have been the wet nurse into whose care the infant was placed? In Campobasso (my area of research - Lombardia may differ), the wet nurse is often named in the foundling's birth record, much more often than the midwife, who is named only when she attests to the birth in lieu of the father or family member.
John Armellino

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 16 Oct 2007, 16:06

No I don't think so. The records clearly call her midwife. I have the birth record from Pavia. It states that the midwife Amalia Brambilla delivered the baby and brought it to the Secretary of Pavia who named him. The midwife and two witnesses signed the record. Then I have a copy of the entrance into the foundling home. It clearly states the baby was brought there by the midwife Amalia Brambilla after registering the birth with the secretary. Only thing we can't find yet, is the baptism record. As I understand, even if the baby was a foundling he still would have been baptized.
Gina

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 16 Oct 2007, 16:15

I think the street name is actually Jacopo Bussolaro, named after a priest in Pavia in the 13 or 1400's (Jacopo de Bussolaro).

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 16 Oct 2007, 16:18

Yes you are correct. We have found that to be true. I am just posting it here the way it was written on the birth record entry. But your spelling is actually the correct one.
Gina

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 16 Oct 2007, 16:21

Have you tried ordering the films for the civil records (for births) from LDS church?

It may not show the birth the same year as he was born, civil registration may have occured years later. In my grandfathers case he was born 1889 and his birth was not recorded in the civil records until 1908 when he was getting married and also had to register for the draft. Even though it wasn't registered until 1908 it still showed his year of birth as 1889.

Your great grandfather, being male, would have been required to sign up for the italian draft at some point.

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 16 Oct 2007, 18:21

Yes, but he was taken in by a family in Pecorara, Piacenza in Emilia-Romagna. That's where the Della Valle's are from and where he lived until he left for New York. And that is where he registered for the military. I have that record too. Would it help me to get those records? He married in New York and I have that.
Gina

Return to “Italian Genealogy”