Adopted children in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Adopted children in Italy

Post by JohnArmellino »

According to the Catholic Church Encyclopedia about 50% of the children who survived where retrieved by their natural parents during this time.
This statistic may be accurate in some areas of Italy, but it is far from accurate in Campobasso, the provincial capital of Molise. I have canvassed the birth records of Campobasso, as well as those records [atti di recognizione] where a parent or parents had reclaimed their natutral child, who had been abandoned at an earlier date. This didn’t happen very often. In the 44 years between 1822 and 1865, 65 atti di recognizione were recorded in Campobasso. During this same period, 1705 infants were abandoned in Campobasso. This calculates to a 3.8% rate of retrieval.
John Armellino
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Meechie, I would like to talk more with you. I sent an email to you. My email is Gina501 @ aol.com if you don't get it for some reason.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com
Meechie

Post by Meechie »

John, you are correct, this is only what I have found in the Catholic Encyclopedia for the area and time period I am researching. This was in the Calabria area between the late 1800s and very early 1900's. I don't want to miss inform anyone, and I only hope the information I have is accurate! If you know anything for the area that would help I would really appreciate that too!

Also, to Gina, I will be writing to you soon. Thank you for your response.

Sincerely,
Meechie
Greco, Grazie, Pettinato, Pupo, Amato, Domenilla
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Sorry Meechie. I wasn't trying to question your info, but only to offer some alternative info based on my research in a given area. I find it interesting to see how the various regions differ. I haven't done any research in Calabria, but I have read that the infant abandonment system was gradually being closed down by the late 1800s and early 1900s, beginning in northern Italy and spreading south.
John Armellino
Padulese

Post by Padulese »

Hi! If I am searching for adoption records from Salerno, would I write to the parish there? My grandfather was Sabato Ferrizzi, I am not sure that Ferrizzi is his real last name. Can anyone help me?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You provided limited information and I am not familiar with Italian adoption procedures sufficiently to advise you other than to direct your inquiries to an organziation that is free of charge and will start you on the process of locating your adoption records.. The website is www.adopteeconnect.com/contact.htm. Lots of luck and get back to us if you need any additional information. =Peter=
dferrizzi

Post by dferrizzi »

For Padulese:

I'm sure this is my cousin Sherry.

Grandpop's adopted name was Ferrizzi. You remember that he was left on the steps of a church in Salerno, but then he was adopted by a family from Naples. The church where Grandpop was left was destroyed During WW2 and all of the records are gone. Vince has the ship's records of when Grandpop came to the US with his "brother" Angelo, but that's about all we have on the family, on that side.

I've tried to contact the Vatican to see if maybe some church records were saved but I haven't had any luck.

I've been working on Grandmom's side of the family lately too. I'll let you know what i find.

Your cousin,

Diana
kauky

Post by kauky »

Hi everyone, hi Gina!
I don't know if we are connected in some way, but my surname is Rovati, I am living in Pavia and my great grand father's brother moved to the usa in 1905 with his wife Regina Dagradi. They were both from Cigognola (Pavia). I Know they lived for a while in New Jersey, and they had 3 sons (Henry, Louis and don't know the third one) but I have no more news.
I think their descendants are still living in the usa, but I have no idea where.
Can u suggest me how start to look for them