Guiseppe Iannascoli in Pescara, Italy area

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Ladyames

Guiseppe Iannascoli in Pescara, Italy area

Postby Ladyames » 11 Oct 2007, 14:30

I am researching my ggrandfather's family in the Pescara area. I believe they were all from the Penne and Loreto Aprutino area.

My great grandfather was Biagio Iannascoli, and his brother was Rocco. When they both immigrated to the US, their names were changed at Ellis Island - Biagio became Tannascoli, and Rocco became Gannascoli.

Both brothers left a father back in Italy named Guiseppe Iannascoli. It is Guiseppe that I am looking for now. I know he was born about 1860, and that he married, but I don't know whom. Also, I'm sure they must have had other children, but I can't make any connections yet of the ones I've found coming through Ellis Island. Once they arrived, their names, like above, for the most part were changed. I have been looking at Tannascoli, Iannascoli, Jannascoli, Gannascoli ...

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it! :D

Thanks!
Marianne Gaudio Spencer

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Guiseppe Iannascoli in Pescara, Italy area

Postby BillieDeKid » 11 Oct 2007, 15:12

Hi Ladyames,

I just asked the same question on your other post, but have you ordered microfilms from the LDS church yet?

Regards,
Elizabeth

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 11 Oct 2007, 15:12

Are these WWI Draft Reg Cards correct?

Biagio Tannascoli WWI Draft Card

Rocco Tannascoli WWI Draft Card

If they are correct, especially the one for Rocco which shows his birthdate as 20 June 1886 and his birthplace as Penne, you could write to the comune and request a copy of his birth act which should include his father's name and his mother's first and maiden names.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Ladyames

Postby Ladyames » 11 Oct 2007, 15:30

Thanks - I am having trouble opening the links. Can you tell me where you found them and I'll go look them up?

Oh, okay ... I found them on Ancestry.com ... yes, those are the brothers. I know they must have other relations - Ellis Island has other Iannascolis and variations headed to NY, PA, and NJ ... I'm hoping to find out if they are cousins, brothers, etc.
Marianne Gaudio Spencer

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 11 Oct 2007, 16:03

a Biagio second trip in USA with wife:
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0038%2ETIF
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 11 Oct 2007, 16:56

Suanj, Nice find on Biagio and wife's 1913 manifest.

Marianne,
As Elizabeth mentioned, you could check the LDS records for Penne to determine the parents' names for Rocco and Biagio. In addition, you could check for other Iannascoli birth records to determine if there were any other children. Once you locate siblings, you could check these findings against the other manifests you located to see if the names/ages fit.

Likewise, Rocco and Biagio's birth records should contain ages for their parents which would help you determine appoximate years of birth, and then you could check for their birth records which might lead you to their marriage record. And if you're able to locate the processeti record for them, you'll be able to trace their ancestry even further.

Details on LDS films on Penne

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Ladyames

Postby Ladyames » 11 Oct 2007, 18:31

Thanks for the suggestions... I know there is an LDS center somewhere around here, I just need to locate it, I guess.

Not ever having used one of their centers before, let me ask this ... will they have all of these films in their library, or will they have to "send out" for them? Should I call ahead and warn them that I'm looking for them?

Thanks!
Marianne Gaudio Spencer

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 11 Oct 2007, 21:06

I called the center for information before I went. I had to go there to fill out the forms and pay in advance. The films come from Salt Lake City. I was told it would take 2 to 3 weeks and the fee was $5.50 per roll.
If by chance someone else was using the films and paid a second fee, they possibly could be at the center. The first thing they did when I got there was to search their permanent collection. Unfortunately, what I needed had to be ordered. Everyone there was extremely helpful, but they do have limited hours.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”