Marzullo Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Macbirt

Marzullo Surname

Postby Macbirt » 20 Oct 2007, 20:38

Hi all,
I am researching my Great Grand mother's ancestry and it has taken years to find out who her parents were and where they were from.
Her name was Elizabeth Marcella, born abt 1872 in New York.
It turns out, after about 10 years of searching, that her parents were Maria Colton and Benedetto Marzullo.
She and her siblings all claimed that their father, Benedetto (later known as Benedict) was from France. Benedetto, however, on his marriage record and in the 1870 and 1880 New York Federal census, stated that he was from Italy.

That's almost all I have.

So I am looking for Benedetto's parents now. His marriage record from 1868 in Boston, Massachusetts USA says they were Domenico Marzullo and Rosa (unknown)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Birt

P.S. Benedetto was born abt. 1835.

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Marzullo Surname

Postby misbris » 21 Oct 2007, 16:45

Are you the one who submitted the record to Family Search? There is a record for Benedetto there. Do you have any idea where in Italy Domenico was from?

There was another poster who said a relative claimed to be French, not Italian, but they lived near the Canadian border. We speculated that there would have been less prejudice for a Frenchman in that area rather than an Italian.

If there is any other clue you can post, it would be a help. There are lots of Marzullo's out there.

Mary Jo

Macbirt

Postby Macbirt » 21 Oct 2007, 22:46

I have been in touch with a couple of my "Marcella" cousins, who are also descendants of my Benedetto Marzullo but I do not know if they posted it or not.
As for the Canadian border location, that's not my Marcella branch, at least that I know of. Mine were only in New York city and Boston at the time I am researching, which is 1865 to 1930.
Benedetto owned a restaurant in Manhattan in 1870 and 1880. He died sometime between 1884, when his youngest son was born and 1890 when his widow is living as the head of the house in East Boston, Mass. In that short time Maria, his widow, went from living in a home in Manhattan with her children and three servants, to living with one widower son and being a cleaning woman herself.

Thanks for the response,
Bob Birt

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 21 Oct 2007, 22:55

For your info , here is the link

Benedetto Marzullo Pedigree
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Domenico Family
Mother: Rosa

Marriages:
Spouse: Marie Coltom Family
Marriage: 28 MAR 1865 Boston

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... esults.asp

There are a number of Dominic's but unless you have an idea of where in Italy he was from, it would be difficult.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 21 Oct 2007, 22:55

Hi Bob,

Do you have Benedetto's death certificate? It should list his place of birth, parents full names etc.

Elizabeth

Return to “Italian Genealogy”