Obtaining records from Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Obtaining records from Italy

Postby adifresco » 02 Nov 2007, 23:23

I recently received my great-grandfather's naturalization records from the National Archives in New York. His name was Giovanni DiFresco and he was born September 28, 1895 in Chieti, Italy. He immigrated on April 26, 1912 on the SS Prinzess Irene. He filed for U.S citizenship on February 27, 1933.

I'm still not sure about a few things. I found a WWII draft registration card from 1942, and he lists his birth date as September 28, 1896, so I'm not sure which is correct. I'm also not sure about what city he was born in. Everything in the naturalization papers just says "Chieti, Italy". However, a record from the Ellis Island passenger lists (under the name Giovanni Fresco) also says the commune/town of Frisa. I also have no idea what his parent's names were. I'm waiting for a death certificate I ordered, which could have additional information.

My question is, how do I order a birth certificate or some kind of record from Italy? I don't speak Italian, and I don't know anything about the process. Should I order one from the Province of Chieti or from Frisa? And which birth year should I use? Any help would be appreciated.

AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Obtaining records from Italy

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 02 Nov 2007, 23:37

adifresco wrote:I recently received my great-grandfather's naturalization records from the National Archives in New York. His name was Giovanni DiFresco and he was born September 28, 1895 in Chieti, Italy. He immigrated on April 26, 1912 on the SS Prinzess Irene. He filed for U.S citizenship on February 27, 1933.

I'm still not sure about a few things. I found a WWII draft registration card from 1942, and he lists his birth date as September 28, 1896, so I'm not sure which is correct. I'm also not sure about what city he was born in. Everything in the naturalization papers just says "Chieti, Italy". However, a record from the Ellis Island passenger lists (under the name Giovanni Fresco) also says the commune/town of Frisa. I also have no idea what his parent's names were. I'm waiting for a death certificate I ordered, which could have additional information.

My question is, how do I order a birth certificate or some kind of record from Italy? I don't speak Italian, and I don't know anything about the process. Should I order one from the Province of Chieti or from Frisa? And which birth year should I use? Any help would be appreciated.

Personally, I would give credence to naturalization papers over most other documents because I assume (yes, I don't really know for certain) that people had to provide hard documentation such as birth certificates, passports, etc, in order to apply for citizenship. Perhaps someone can confirm that thought...

Check out the form letter generators here: http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Okay, further research indicates that Frisa is a comune in the province of Chieti. You would definitely send the request directly to the comune as these records are stored in the individual villages.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 02 Nov 2007, 23:46

Chieti is a province in the Abruzzi region of Italy. Frisa is a town in Chieti.
Here is a link for information about Frisa.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/069/037/index.html

The FHC has the civil records for Frisa from 1809 to 1860 . Here is the link.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adifresco » 02 Nov 2007, 23:57

AnotherCitizenToBe wrote:Personally, I would give credence to naturalization papers over most other documents because I assume (yes, I don't really know for certain) that people had to provide hard documentation such as birth certificates, passports, etc, in order to apply for citizenship. Perhaps someone can confirm that thought...

Check out the form letter generators here: http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Okay, further research indicates that Frisa is a comune in the province of Chieti. You would definitely send the request directly to the comune as these records are stored in the individual villages.

Yes but should I assume that he was born in Frisa even though it's never mentioned in the naturalization papers? (Only on the Ellis Island passenger list)

adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adifresco » 02 Nov 2007, 23:59

misbris wrote:Chieti is a province in the Abruzzi region of Italy. Frisa is a town in Chieti.
Here is a link for information about Frisa.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/069/037/index.html

The FHC has the civil records for Frisa from 1809 to 1860 . Here is the link.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Thanks, although I'm not sure if that's going to help because my great-grandfather wasn't born until 1895 and I have no information whatsoever about his parents.

AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 03 Nov 2007, 00:25

adifresco wrote:Yes but should I assume that he was born in Frisa even though it's never mentioned in the naturalization papers? (Only on the Ellis Island passenger list)

Go with it. What have you got to lose, other than time? Unlike here in the US, Italian comunes do not charge for copies of certificates, so it only costs the price of a letter and an indeterminable wait to see if anything comes out of Frisa.

One thing is certain, he was *not* born in Chieta; so Frisa seems like your best bet.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 03 Nov 2007, 00:31

FYI
manifest
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024
pg. 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024

manifest definitely lists place of birth as Frisa. and also gives his father's name. It is difficult to read, looks like Florindo.( Anybody, jump in here. Some eyes are probably better that mine)

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 03 Nov 2007, 00:35

Hi adifresco,

The information on the manifest was usually taken from the persons passport so Frisa should be correct. When you write your request to Frisa you should put - the birth is either September 28, 1895 or September 28, 1896. As long as you give the year(s) to search it's not a problem.

Regards,
Elizabeth

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 03 Nov 2007, 00:44

I just looked until my eyes crossed Mary Jo and I can't tell for sure what his fathers name says. Florindo or Flasindo - I'm just not sure.

adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adifresco » 03 Nov 2007, 00:51

misbris wrote:manifest definitely lists place of birth as Frisa. and also gives his father's name. It is difficult to read, looks like Florindo.( Anybody, jump in here. Some eyes are probably better that mine)

Yes, I've struggled with this for a while and haven't been able to come to any conclusion. Could be Flavindo, Florindo, Flarindo, Flovindo. From what I understand, none of those are common names in Italy.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 03 Nov 2007, 01:28

Ok, I'm going to bet that the fathers first name was actually Alessandro or Alessando. I believe the capital F is actually capital Y and if the transcriber looks like he/she used an apostrophe before the last few letters. So pronounce the Y as in Yah, you have Ylasindo/Ylasi'ndo.

adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adifresco » 03 Nov 2007, 01:42

BillieDeKid wrote:Ok, I'm going to bet that the fathers first name was actually Alessandro or Alessando. I believe the capital F is actually capital Y and if the transcriber looks like he/she used an apostrophe before the last few letters. So pronounce the Y as in Yah, you have Ylasindo/Ylasi'ndo.

Hmmm that's very interesting. Would this be a common way of spelling the name? (Sorry I'm I know nothing about the Italian language.)

Anyway, would I be able to obtain records from Italy without having his parents' names?

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby peggymckee » 03 Nov 2007, 02:12

adifresco wrote:would I be able to obtain records from Italy without having his parents' names?
You won't know until you try. Use the form letter and ask for help translating what you want to say that isn't in the form letter. An airmail stamp is less than a dollar. You'll learn a little Italian in the process! Good luck. Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 03 Nov 2007, 03:22

adifresco wrote:
BillieDeKid wrote:Ok, I'm going to bet that the fathers first name was actually Alessandro or Alessando. I believe the capital F is actually capital Y and if the transcriber looks like he/she used an apostrophe before the last few letters. So pronounce the Y as in Yah, you have Ylasindo/Ylasi'ndo.

Hmmm that's very interesting. Would this be a common way of spelling the name? (Sorry I'm I know nothing about the Italian language.)

Anyway, would I be able to obtain records from Italy without having his parents' names?

No it's not a common spelling to spell with a Y. The transcribers were listening to italians (that didn't speak english) pronouncing the name of person and address of where going, so they wrote what they heard. That's why I'm guessing the F is actually a Y etc. I could be very wrong.

As for requesting the information without the parents names the answer is yes. If you have the persons name and birthdate (which you do) you don't need the parents names for the registrar to find the record.

AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 03 Nov 2007, 09:12

adifresco wrote:...Anyway, would I be able to obtain records from Italy without having his parents' names?

Frisa today has less than two thousand residents; it was most likely the same or even fewer in the days of your ancestor. This translates into an annual birthrate of, what, 10? 20? Certanily not very many more than that.

So, it is not a huge deal to have to "search" through several years records in order to find "John Smith".

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/abruzzo/frisa.html

There are some neat photos here: http://frisa.info/

Return to “Italian Genealogy”