You have a Province of birth (Calabria), but not the city...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

You have a Province of birth (Calabria), but not the city...

Postby gerald325i » 09 Nov 2007, 01:22

Looks like my Greco ancestors where originally from Calabria, but I can't find out from where exactly.

Is there a way to write to ONE central location in Calabria for information?

(edit) Francesco Giuseppe Greco, born 28 May 1876. Parents were Giuseppe Greco and Angela Prestisimone.

He married Angela Rosa Greco (his cousin, born 5 May 1884 in Cefalu, Sicily) and emigrated and died in Quilmes, Buenos Aires, Argentina...don't know where to write for death certificate either and they probably didn't record place of birth any way.

Also, if there is any database out there of births/marriages/deaths for Cosenza and/or Catanzaro, pls let me know, as that would help!

Gerald
PS: I am very familiar with LDS films, just need the town first!

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: You have a Province of birth (Calabria), but not the cit

Postby JohnArmellino » 09 Nov 2007, 02:53

Although I have not worked with them myself, my cousin pinned down the town of origin for one of his relatives through military records, which I believe are kept in one location in the provincial capital. Perhaps someone on the board is familiar with them?
John Armellino

gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gerald325i » 09 Nov 2007, 04:32

Thanks, just tried finding military records at the FHL, but what I find is that there are records for Reggio Calabria, Cosenza and Catanzaro separatly...and missing the lest obvious cities...

and even then...how do I calculate what year I need for military records for someone born in 1876?

If anyone in Utah can do this for a fee...shoot a quote too!

Gerald

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 09 Nov 2007, 04:39

Hi Gerald,

There seems to be LDS films for military records for Cosenza from 1842 thru 1901. I know it was a requirement for the men to register. They have no birth, marriage etc. I'll post the link in case you want to try those films.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

There are films of civil and parish records for Catanzaro for limited towns and parishes etc. in the province of Catanzaro. Here's the link so you can take a look.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... o+civile++

The years go from 1775 to 1865. Since you know Giuseppe's parents names maybe there's a chance you would find there marriage banns from the 1840's or 1850's.

Might be worth a shot.

I'm check a few other places that have records transcribed or at least partial records transcribed to see if they list Catanzaro or Cosenza. I'll post back if I find anything for you.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 09 Nov 2007, 04:46

For your military question. If the person was born in 1876 look for military records from 1893 (person would be 17) thru 1897 or 98.

I know from my grandfather born in 1889 that he had to register between 17 and 18.

Edit to add comment.......By the way, I read your post about already looking for military records etc. The link I included is for the province of Cosenza not the town of Cosenza.

Hope this helps.

gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gerald325i » 09 Nov 2007, 05:18

Thank you much!
I read what you wrote about the year to look for when it come to military records (17-18 years after), but this quote from the films throws me off:

"Each volume contains a few names of young men born 1 or 2 years previous."

Looks like I gotta roll the dice and go for a bunch just in case ;)

thanks again!

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 09 Nov 2007, 05:52

Hi - yes it looks like you'll have a few films to look at. I hope one of them is a winner. You can try just the ones for 1894 so you'd only have to order 2 films. Maybe one of the historians on the forum can tell you during that time period what the rule on ages was for registering. I was covering from age 17-23.

1892-1893 1743397
1893-1894 1743398
1894-1895 1743451
1895 1743452
1896-1897 1743453
1897-1898 1743521
1898-1899 1743522

Let us know how it goes. And I'm still looking for records already transcribed. If I find I'll post for you.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Nov 2007, 09:01

gerald325i wrote:Looks like my Greco ancestors where originally from Calabria, but I can't find out from where exactly.

Is there a way to write to ONE central location in Calabria for information?

Giuseppe Greco, born 28 May 1876. Parents were Giuseppe Greco and Angela Prestisimone.

He married Angela Rosa Greco (his cousin, born 5 May 1884 in Cefalu, Sicily) and emigrated and died in Quilmes, Buenos Aires, Argentina...don't know where to write for death certificate either and they probably didn't record place of birth any way.

Also, if there is any database out there of births/marriages/deaths for Cosenza and/or Catanzaro, pls let me know, as that would help!

Gerald
PS: I am very familiar with LDS films, just need the town first!

I believe that also your Giuseppe was born in Cefalù( Sicily) or in some common very near... and not in Calabria. because the wife had Greco surname also meaning that she was a daughter of Giuseppe Greco sr brother..
Prestisimone is a surname very rare and in the old past it was present in Cefalù...
however if you request the birth act in Cefalù common, abt Angela Rosa Greco, it sure are the marriage note and the marriage data; after you can ask directly the marriage act and so you can know where Giuseppe jr was born... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gerald325i » 09 Nov 2007, 20:12

Thanks Suanj. That is what I thought at first, in fact, I have the LDS films here for Cefalu and have done extensive research looking at all of them, but can't find Gppe nor parents!
The marriage act for Angela Rosa Greco does not show the parents being there for her, meaning to me that they probably were somewhere else.

Also, why would you marry your cousin if you've know him/her all you life? It makes more sense that they met much later in life and they just fell in love!

Also, my mom remembers my gf saying they were Calabrese...but his mom was (partly) from Cefalú.
Also, I did find some Prestisimone in Cefalú, but not an Angela (the surname is rare there too).

Either way, my search in Cefalu is done, must try my luck in Calabria...

thanks again

Gerald

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Nov 2007, 20:32

gerald325i:
if your ancestor Angela Rosa married in Italy, you must request the birthact in Italy(Cefalù town-office of Stato Civile) and the officer give you also the marriage note in the birthact; after, having the marriage record( date) you can ask the marriage act of Angela Rosa so you can know where the groom came from; the LDS microfilms are by civil record registries of Archive of State, but in Cefalù maybe they have the registries with marriage note also...
you have only a data for starting: Cefalù, and in this Common you must start the search; if LDS records are no helpful, please to write in Cefalù, otherwise it is impossible to know anything....
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 09 Nov 2007, 21:03

Hi Gerald,

Did you contribute the Greco names to sicilianfamilytree.com - Cefalu births etc.? If that was you I won't post what I found.

gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gerald325i » 10 Nov 2007, 04:11

That is me!

gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gerald325i » 15 Nov 2007, 00:31

Well, whatdoyaknow!

Angela Prestisimone had a brother who emigrated to Argentina with her (Eugenio).

I sent an e-mail to another living Eugenio Prestisimone in Buenos Aires. He tells me that his grandfather was from Marina di Fuscaldo, Calabria.

Bingo! All I need now is the microfiche for Fuscaldo and they have plenty at FamilySearch! :)

Isn't this fun!?

Thanks all!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 15 Nov 2007, 06:05

great!!!! wonderful!!!
my gratulations, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 15 Nov 2007, 16:27

Congrats Gerald. Post back and let us know how it turns out!!!!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”