Help: Atto di Nascita

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PeteT

Help: Atto di Nascita

Postby PeteT » 23 Nov 2007, 17:41

I have an Atto di Nascita from the late 1890's in Catania from one of my ancestors. I got it from microfilm from the Family History Library in SLC. Typically in the 'e compars' section an 'e' is added for masculinity I assume to indicate this persons father. On this particular Atto, an 'a' is added, the name following appears to be feminine and is followed by the age and the word "casalinga" which means housewife. Am I to assume that the infant born here is fatherless? The handwriting is very, very rough but, here's what it looks to me like it says:

"Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Comune di Catania, e comparsa, Scaricella Carmela, di anni quaranta due, casalinga domicialata in Catania, la quale dichiarato che alle ore sedici e minuti trenta, del di ???, del corrente mese, nella casa posta in Via ??? al numero 3 de la sua legitt??? unione con La Colla Concetta di anno quaranta due minratore sua lui conaivente".

Also, is there a place I can send this where there are people more experienced at reading Italian handwriting?

gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help: Atto di Nascita

Postby gerald325i » 23 Nov 2007, 18:19

Post it riight here for everyone to view, you can use imageshack to store it and then place the link here.

You'll get plenty of help...

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 23 Nov 2007, 22:23

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum.

No the child is not fatherless e compare means - then comes - which could be the father but sometimes it is the midwife or a grandparent of the newborn. If it's a females name more than likely it's the midwife.

You can post the document in the translation section of this website or post it right here. I would post it here in your thread.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Elizabeth

PeteT

Postby PeteT » 23 Nov 2007, 23:39

OK. Here's the Atti di Nascita in question. I hope the image can be rotated.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 24 Nov 2007, 12:54

Here's a copy of the act rotated...

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2169 ... wj6ie5.jpg

Hope this helps. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 24 Nov 2007, 15:53

"Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Comune di Catania, è comparsa, Scarcella Carmela, di anni quaranta due (42 old), casalinga domiciliata in Catania, la quale mi ha dichiarato che alle ore sedici e minuti trenta, del dì 2 ( 2 june 1898 )del corrente mese, nella casa posta in Via ??? al numero 3 dalla sua legittima unione con La Colla Concetto di anno quaranta due muratore seco lui convivente è nato un bambino di sesso maschile che ella mi presenta e a cui dà il nome di Giuseppe .. etc".
--------------------------------------------
The year 1898, the day 6 of June month to hours A.M. 11.00 and minutes 50 in the Town Hall of Catania.
In my presence Knight Officer Placido SPADARO GRASSI alderman delegated from Major by act of 22 Feb 1898, rightly aprovated, civil records officer Catania common ,
it is appeared Carmela SCARCELLA of age 42 housewife domiciled in Catania, that it declare me, that in the 16.00 hours and minutes 5 of day 2 current month in Via ....... number 3, from legitimate union with La Colla Concetto of age 42, bricklayer with she inhabitant it is born a baby of male sex that present us and that it declare of to give to this baby the name of Giuseppe.
The presentation and the declaration above mentioned it is made in the presence of ARENA Nicolò(?)of age 43 civil and of FAZIO Mario of age 57 civil, both resident in this common.
Read the present act to declaring and to witnesses, it is signed by only withnesses with exception of mother informant because illiterate.

ARENA Nicolò
FAZIO Mario
..SPADARO

-----------------------

Note: La Colla Giuseppe married at Zappalà Concetta the 14 April 1921 record 519....

regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

PeteT

Postby PeteT » 24 Nov 2007, 18:10

Suanj,

Thank you very much! That was EXTREMELY helpful!

So the father was bricklayer Concetto LaColla. I assume from reading your translation that there is no mention of the mother's name, only that she was illiterate, correct? Or was Carmela Scarcella the midwife...or the mother listed by her maiden name?

PeteT

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 24 Nov 2007, 18:18

PeteT wrote:Suanj,

Thank you very much! That was EXTREMELY helpful!

So the father was bricklayer Concetto LaColla. I assume from reading your translation that there is no mention of the mother's name, only that she was illiterate, correct? Or was Carmela Scarcella the midwife...or the mother listed by her maiden name?

PeteT

Carmela Scarcella was the wife of Concetto La Colla and the mother of Giuseppe La Colla
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 24 Nov 2007, 18:22

Hi Pete just a note - all Italian women went by their maiden names not their husbands name like the US custom. After coming to the US they followed american customs of assuming the husbands surname.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”