How do I find my G x 3 grandfathers roots in Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
debbie58

How do I find my G x 3 grandfathers roots in Italy?

Postby debbie58 » 06 Dec 2007, 18:56

Hi,

My G x 3 Grandfatehr was Giovanni Basilio VERONELLI born circa 1778 in Italy. The first record I've found for him is in London 1798 when he married. I have a good record of his life in London & of his children. Giovanni was a Tailor by trade. Some of his children later used the surname TAYLOR rather than their family name.

But how do I find WHERE in Italy he came from? I'm guessing it may have been the Como region...but it's only a guess after various stabs at research on the net. I have no idea where to even begin looking.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Debbie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: How do I find my G x 3 grandfathers roots in Italy?

Postby suanj » 06 Dec 2007, 20:50

for Como area, it are available on line the baptism records from 1830 to 1866; however it are in this years 14 Veronelli baptized... maybe someone of this name could be sound familiar in some way:

nome: Anastasio Antonio Ferdinando Veronelli
data battesimo: 15-04-1842
luogo battesimo: parrocchia: San Fedele

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nome: Andrea Isidoro Michele Enrico Veronelli
data battesimo: 04-04-1850

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nome: Bartolomeo Veronelli
data battesimo: 13-12-1866

nome: Carlo Giovanni Bartolomeo Veronelli
data battesimo: 24-07-1864

nome: Carlo Natale Sperindio Veronelli
data battesimo: 17-12-1865

nome: Ferdinando Pietro Mamete Veronelli
data battesimo: 18-08-1835
luogo battesimo: parrocchia: San Donnino

nome: Francesca Emilia Caterina Veronelli
data battesimo: 25-11-1840

nome: Gabriele Luigi Giuseppe Veronelli
data battesimo: 18-03-1839

nome: Giacomo Ferdinando Veronelli
data battesimo: 28-11-1843

nome: Giovanna Angela Emilia Veronelli
data battesimo: 27-05-1845

nome: Maria Enrichetta Veronelli
data battesimo: 09-01-1847

nome: Maria Giuseppa Veronelli
data battesimo: 21-02-1838

nome: Rosalinda Maria Consola Veronelli
data battesimo: 07-07-1834

nome: Silvestro Agostino Luigi (detto Ferdinando) Veronelli
data battesimo: 26-12-1836

regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jenalonso » 06 Dec 2007, 21:01

Suanj is the expert here so please defer to her judgment for everything & anything but....

Since you said that you are just guessing about Como (and you really need to know the exact town in Italy to get records), are there any other sources or records in England that you can think of that may have his town of origin or "last residence" in Italy on it? Especially since you don't have his exact birthdate, you may want to search for the town because the smaller towns will at least search through several years of births for you.

Best of luck,

Jen
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.

debbie58

Postby debbie58 » 07 Dec 2007, 10:59

Suanj,
Many thanks for your swift reply & the information. Although the details don't mean much to me at this stage, I'll print them out & keep on file.

Jen,

That's all I have unfortunately. On the 1841 census, he claims to have been born in Kent...little fibber :) On the 1851, he has simply declared ITALY as place of birth. He died in 1852 & it's from his age on the death certificate & the census that I've established approx when he was born. I'll have a good think about what else I could find in records here, but I'm at a loss just now.

Once again, thank you both, it's much appreciated.

Debbie

jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jenalonso » 07 Dec 2007, 12:57

Well, maybe you are right about Como...do you know this website?

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

Where the dark circles are - is where the majority of Veronelli's are from....and that looks like the Como area...

So maybe you can use Suanj's info and seach San Fedele & San Donnino for your Giovanni?

Again, good luck!
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.

debbie58

Postby debbie58 » 07 Dec 2007, 19:11

Thanks again Jen,

Yes, it's been by looking at the maps that I've guessed at Como. I read somewhere too that a lot of tailors were in the region.

At least now I have some parish names to go with, I didn't know where to start before.

Wish me luck!!

Debbie

peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Postby peggymckee » 08 Dec 2007, 00:14

Debbie--may I make another suggestion? Does you 3XGF have any other relatives--even distant present day ones? I ask because I have learnt the most about my father's mother's family from an "in-law", the wife of my father's cousin. She is also very distantly related--although I still don't understand quite how. She has a passion of genealogy and is a goldmine of information. Sometimes following up on other relatives will lead you to information about your own family--e.g. does not apparently non-family member live with 3xGF? How about on the same street--any possible relations?

Good luck, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi

debbie58

Postby debbie58 » 08 Dec 2007, 17:30

Hi Peg,

Thanks for your suggestions. Some time ago, I started the VERONELLY message board on Ancestry...in the days before I knew it should end with an 'i'...and through there, I have made contact with 2 or 3 others & together, we've shared info & gathered a huge amount on the descendants. This includes all the VERONELLY that are currently in Canada that are also descendants of Giovanni.

Others have contacted us from time to time, but they take, take, take with very little give. Unfortunately, a huge sticking point has been the change of name to TAYLOR. We've tracked every known child of Giovanni...apart from the first known, Marie bapt 1807 Holborn...& have tracked their descendants. Everytime we find someone new, it appears that great Aunt x died last year, etc, etc. One of my regular contacts was even told that the VERONELLI were French. We also know that some of the Italians walked through Europe settling wherever & have wondered if Giovanni met his first wife Anna Maria Barry in France...but why travel on to London to marry???

But one thing that is a common thread is that all of the older V's, never talked about their family. We know they were very poor & have wondered at some sort of scandal...but we haven't found any evidence of that yet.

Oh well...it's all good fun, isn't it :)

Debbie

joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Postby joyse » 08 Dec 2007, 18:02

Off and on I spent years wondering where my great grandfather came from but with a little help from the internet I did it!!
Years ago lots of families didn't discuss the past - they were too busy coping with life.
Little by little, bits of info from different people led to finding my ancestry. Be careful with info people give you as it is not always correct as I found out. Check and double check.
Have you looked to see if your 3xgrandfather was naturaliazed? These records are held at Kew and not available on line.
Look up marriage, baptisms, deaths for any names as witnesses.
My ggrandfather's marriage cert had a witness that I thought would be a friend but it turned out to be his brother! My ggrandfather had either changed his name or the priest misheard. I was first told of the correct surname by a relative in Canada, where the name had changed again!!

good luck - everything comes to he who waits
Joy

debbie58

Postby debbie58 » 09 Dec 2007, 10:07

Hello Joy,

Thanks for your reply.

I have explored witnesses, as they can always be helpful...or in some cases, lead me up the garden path!! :)

However, I hadn't thought about natralization....hhhhmmm...good thinking!!! As for spelling variations, tell me about it LOL!!! Of course, way back then, to the local registrar or church clerk, they would've guessed at spellings so often, even the census enumerators too. We thought for a while that might be why some of them changed to using TAYLOR, but they all registred bmd's as VERONELLI's (or variants)...most strange.

Thanks for your ideas.

Debbie

Return to “Italian Genealogy”