How Names were "Inventato" (Invented)?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

How Names were "Inventato" (Invented)?

Postby jenalonso » 09 Dec 2007, 23:30

Hello all,

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season! :D

I have a general question: Does anyone know how names were generally "invented" for orphans in Italy?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Jennifer
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: How Names were "Inventato" (Invented)?

Postby JohnArmellino » 10 Dec 2007, 01:38

From what I've read, the surnames assigned to the foundlings varied from town to town. Some towns used surnames such as Proietto or Trovato [foundling], Esposito [of this place], and D'Ignoti [of unknown], which surnames reflected the status of the child. Some surnames were tongue-in-cheek, such as d’Amore. In 1928 these methods were outlawed as being detrimental to the foundlings so named. Other towns used the surnames of noted men or of families that had died out. My area of research is Campobasso --- during the early part of the 19th century, that town often used the names Esposito and Fortunata. However, by the middle of that century they predominantly used variations of common surnames, e.g., Angellillo to Angellini. In the late 19th Century, I noticed some beautiful descriptive surnames, such as Cuorgiusto and Fiorebello. However, one foundling was named Maltesta - I can only imagine how that infant must have cried and bawled!
John Armellino

jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jenalonso » 10 Dec 2007, 02:10

Thanks John. Very interesting....any ideas on the name "Nostrame"? I'm thinking, in following your explanation, that maybe it was a variation of another name. What do you think?

Thanks again,

Jen
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 10 Dec 2007, 02:44

Hi Jen - I don't know the surnames of the area of your research, so I don't know if it could be a variation on an existing surname. However, I do notice the root "nostr-" in the surname. Nostro or nostra means "our" --- perhaps that had something to do with the "hidden" meaning of the surname. Just a thought.
John Armellino

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 10 Dec 2007, 17:27

Hey Jen, just my two cents worth.....

My great grandfather was given his name by the town secretary when the midwife brought him to be registered. It says right on his birth record that the secretary gave him his name off the top of his head. And the name he gave him does not mean anything or is not a place or a translation of anything. Just simply made up.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com

jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jenalonso » 10 Dec 2007, 18:53

Thanks Gina! I kind of think that might be the case with mine too. Oh well, what can you do? When you come to the end of the road...that's it!

I will probably just write one final letter to the orphanage and/or Stato Civile requesting any add'l info about his abandonment and if they don't have any, I'll call it quits.

Thanks to all!

:)

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 10 Dec 2007, 18:56

Hey Jen... I know how you feel. But I will never give up. One more suggestion for you. Write to the churches in the immediate area where he was born and where he was in the adoption home. All babies were baptized and the baptism record might have some more information. I am in the process of searching for mine. Member Riccardo (Ricbru) is helping me.
Gina

Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jenalonso » 10 Dec 2007, 18:58

Really? I've talked to Ricardo. Maybe I should have him look into it for me too. PLEASE let me know if you find anything out. You can write me directly! jen.nostrame@gmail.com

Where was yours from? (what part of Italy?)

Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gina501 » 10 Dec 2007, 19:00

My great grandfather was from Pavia in the Lombardia region. Riccardo has been a huge help with this. You should defintely talk to him. He can point you in the right direction.

Need anything else or just want to chat, please feel free to email anytime. It's GinaG501 @ gmail.com
Gina

Return to “Italian Genealogy”