Birth place of my g-g grandfather in Reggio Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jmpulli

Birth place of my g-g grandfather in Reggio Calabria

Postby jmpulli » 11 Dec 2007, 05:40

Thanks for your help in advance. I can't figure out how to attach files. Those that I've tried to attach were too large.

My ancestry research has been so exciting and I've learned so much. However, I'm at a stand-still right now in trying to find out where my g-g grandfather, Rocco Polifroni (Rocco Pullifrone), was born. His ship manifest shows that he last resided in Lungro and was born in Calabria. In fact, I have the birth records of two of his children that were born in Lungro in 1896 and 1898. He left and immigrated to the U.S. in 1898. I also have his death certificate where he listed his place of birth as Reggio Calabria but no where can I find a specific commune/town. In addition, as my luck would have it, the WWI Draft Registration Card-C doesn't ask for a place of birth. So far, I've noticed that most immigrants came from Cimina or Locri. I checked the birth records for Cimina but it came up empty. As for Locri, it appears there are no microfilm records for that commune. Has anyone had any success in researching Locri? My g-g grandfather was born on 18 Sep 1874. One other record that could provide help would probably be his marriage record, which is probably in Lungro, just prior to 1896.

Regards,
Joe in Colorado

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Birth place of my g-g grandfather in Reggio Calabria

Postby liviomoreno » 11 Dec 2007, 07:43

He could be born in Reggio Calabria, which is a town/comune.

jmpulli

Postby jmpulli » 11 Dec 2007, 15:13

I did consider that but thanks for reminding me. I'll have to look into that possibility as well.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 11 Dec 2007, 15:59

If I am not mistaken, member Nuccia is also researching Locri....might try sending a pm and compare notes.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 11 Dec 2007, 17:08

Hi Joe..

Got your PM and am replying but first, I wanted to share some things I learned along the way. You won't find microfilm for Locri because during the time your ancestors were born, it was known as Gerace Marina. I had difficulty locating my grandmothers records, so with the help of Riccardo, i was able to write to the Comune in Locri and obtain her birth record and marriage records. I also just helped another poster write away to Gerace for her ancestors records (she also had trouble with the microfilms) and she received her documents yesterday..only two weeks after mailing the requests. This may be the best course for you to take as well since any films from Reggio seem to take unusually long to arrive (I waited almost 3 months for mine and she's still waiting for hers).

I am currently transcribing some of the microfilms I have on permanent loan at the LDS but I haven't gotten to Gerace yet.

Here's my website which has some records on it already..they may not help now but they may later as I keep updating them weekly.

Gente di Mare

Hopefully we can help you find the info you need.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”