Finding arrival information from 1882.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Finding arrival information from 1882.

Postby ChrisMosca » 13 Dec 2007, 07:43

In one of the census report it shows as philip Dangelo born in jan 1863 arrived in 1888 from Italy but when i tried looking in the ellis island website it goes only to 1890. is there anywhere else I can look for?
I'm trying to find in what town he was born.
thanks
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Finding arrival information from 1882.

Postby nazca » 13 Dec 2007, 08:14

Hi ChrisMosca,

Have you try www.Familysearch.org or www.ancestry.com ?

Best regards
Vincenzo
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

meticulousmobile
Rookie
Rookie

Postby meticulousmobile » 13 Dec 2007, 14:34

For pre-ellis island, try www.castlegarden.org

It doesn't list as much info as the ellis island records, but if you find the person you're looking for it's a start. Good luck! -------- Matt
Researching Pennella, Liuzzi, Bottini, Casella, LaPosta, Defeudis, Gaudet, Gallant and Parant.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 13 Dec 2007, 14:47

Couple of things:

Ellis Island didn't open until 1892...before that arrivals were via Castle Garden if they came through NY. Since Philip et. al. are in Wisconsin, could have come via Canada. Also, passenger records in the pre-1906 period only rarely listed the town of origin...mostly just the country of origin.

Went to the Italians To America CD I have that lists Italians immigrating from 1880 to 1892 and nothing listed that made sense. Also, be aware that you are probably looking for Filippo, not Philip in the records.

Also, the 1900 census lists brother-in-law Giuseppe Lazzaro...if Maria, his wife, was a Lazzaro as well, another possible source. I did not find her arrival either...but son Matteo obviously born in Italy as well.

Look for naturalization papers, declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalization. These will identify place of origin. Also, cemetery records, obituaries, etc. might help. People from the same towns tended to gravitate to the same region and town in the US> If you know other family friends and where they originated from, it might narrow down the search.

Good Luck.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 13 Dec 2007, 15:58

I'm trying to find in what town he was born

Also, the 1900 census lists brother-in-law Giuseppe Lazzaro...
if Maria, his wife, was a Lazzaro as well, another possible source.
I did not find her arrival either...
but son Matteo obviously born in Italy as well

From the 1900 census information that essgee
referred to (above).
If this is Filippo’s son Matteo, he was born in
Palermo (may be the province tho)

1917 WWI Card
Name: Math Dangelo
Main, West Bend, Washington, Wisconsin
Birthplace: Palermo, Italy
Birth Date: 7 Sep 1888
Alien
Friut Dealer working for Jos Lazarre (uncle?)
Supports mother, sister & brother

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 13 Dec 2007, 17:19

thanks everybody for their help!!!!!!

i did read somehwere that they were fruit dealers. Matheo was the only son born in italy after that the rest were born in milwaukee, Wisconsin.

I believe the brother in law joseph came before them.
thanks vj,essgee,nazca and meticulousmobile
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 13 Dec 2007, 17:33

Well I found an F. Dangelo came apr 3 1888 Filippo= Philip, that could be him.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”