Date of naturalization help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Date of naturalization help

Postby nfig1 » 23 Dec 2007, 04:29

Greetings to all.

I have searched all over the internet, on all the websites, etc., and the closest I've come to determining his date of naturalization for my gggf was via the 1920 census, which indicated 1913. HOWEVER, I am suspicious because the 1910 census says "Na". One of them is wrong, and I cannot be sure which. I am inclined to believe the 1920 census because the year of naturalization is also indicated. Could one of the experts here help me confirm this please? Or tell me where else to look? Many thanks.

nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Date of naturalization help

Postby nfig1 » 23 Dec 2007, 04:31

I forgot to mention his name: Frank (Francesco) Figone, born 1860. He would have naturalized in California, SF or Oakland.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 23 Dec 2007, 13:02

The 1900 census indicated that he had already applied for first papers. This would tend to support the earlier date for naturalization...before 1910. You had to be naturalized within 7 years of application or the process started again.

Even if he didn't get naturalized the first time around, the place to start is to request the Declaration of Intent, the Petition for Naturalization, both completed before the person was actually made a citizen. And start in Oakland as that was the place of residence in 1900. Still in Alemeda County in 1910...so look for the county courts as well as the city superior courts for the records.

Start there and work your way through until you find out the actual naturalization paperwork. The DOI and the Petition actually have more information about your ancestor then does the actual Naturalization document, so finding them will add to your information, no doubt.

The Family History Library had the Alameda Naturalizations on microfilm. It also had the declarations of intent indexed on just one microfilm. Go to this site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... -1931%3B++
and get addtional information about what is available to you.

Good Luck

nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby nfig1 » 23 Dec 2007, 21:31

If he didn't get naturalized the first time around, would he have to file first and second papers all over again too? Perhaps then there would be two sets or more of his "first and second" papers?? Thanks very much. You have been very helpful.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”