Alosi, LaManna, Zappala, Certo, Meo, Ferlazzo...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Alosi, LaManna, Zappala, Certo, Meo, Ferlazzo...

Postby warriorrabbit » 30 Dec 2007, 21:32

None of my surnames are in Fucilla's Our Italian Surnames. Anyone have any suggestions as to meaning/origin, and/or a different reference book?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Alosi, LaManna, Zappala, Certo, Meo, Ferlazzo...

Postby PeterTimber » 30 Dec 2007, 21:53

CERTO and ALOSI are not listed. ALOISI is a listed name but itis not Alosi. The remaining names, LaManna, Zappala, Meo and Ferlazzo are listed. These names appear in Dizionario dei Cognomi Italialiani by Emidio De felice, Mondadori Press. =Peter=

warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Alosi, LaManna, Zappala, Certo, Meo, Ferlazzo...

Postby warriorrabbit » 31 Dec 2007, 06:48

I checked out Our Italian Surnames from the downtown library, but it's the 1950-whatever version; the newer version is an uncheckoutable reference copy. As I mentioned, it has none of my family names. Well, no, it has exactly one: Lusitano.

I checked online and the dictionary you mentioned is also a reference-only copy available only at the downtown library, so it'll have to wait until next year, I guess. (Hee, that's only a few days, but it sounds so long.)

I looked on Amazon.com and that De Felice dictionary isn't even something they know exists -- might I ask where you bought your version (seems pretty clear you have your own)?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”