Iacovo - De Iacovo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Iacovo - De Iacovo

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 04 Jan 2008, 12:40

We have always known my maternal grandfather's (and thus my mother's) surname to be "De Iacovo". Well, actually, "De Iacova", but that's another story...

Having determined that both maternal grandparents were born and married in Malvito, Cosenza, I wrote and requested their birth and marriage certificates, which I received (surprise!) just 4 weeks later.

Malvito sent me official computer-generated extracts as well as photocopies of the original handwritten records which date to the 1880's (births) and 1906 (marriage). All of them show my grandfather's surname as simply "Iacovo", although in one place at the bottom of the original marriage document, his name is handwritten as "De Iacovo Felippo".

All of my grandfather's US documents (naturalization, death certificate, etc) use the De Iacovo name; his naturalization documents (from the 1930's) are clearly signed by him as De Iacovo.

My question is simply, which is it? Iacovo or De Iacovo? Is the latter simply a formalization of the former? Are they two entirely different names (especially in the eyes of the Italian government...)? If his birth was registered as Iacovo, what might have prompted him to use De Iacovo in later life?

AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Iacovo - De Iacovo

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » 06 Jan 2008, 13:03

[bump]

Anyone?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”