Tracing my Grandfather Surname Ricci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
simonf

Tracing my Grandfather Surname Ricci

Postby simonf » 06 Jan 2008, 19:11

Hi Guys

Over the years I have developed an interest in my family history as I suppose many have. I have managed to trace a few family members, etc in a fairly amateurish way really just by blundering through.

The problem I have is that my father phoned me today expressing a wish to trace information on his own father, not with any view to track down family members but purely out of interest as very little is known about him.

My father was born in 1946, what is slightly unusual is that his father was an Italian POW who my Grandmother (RIP) fell in love with when he was working locally. During their affair he managed to get my Grandmother pregnant and was repatriated soon afterwards. He offered to take my Grandmother with him but she refused due to her own reasons.

The name I am looking for is Guiseppe Ricci who was captured in North Africa and was a POW at either Saunders Farm or Dairy Littlemore
in Oxford. He was repatriated in either Dec 1945 or Jan 1946 and was from Brindisi. My Grandma said his parents had a garage business and he was a little younger than her, she was born 1919. The name Ricci is quite a common surname as far as I am aware.

I know that this is a needle in a haystack but would anybody happen to have any information or be able to point me in the right direction when trying to research Italian family members?

A long shot I know, thanks for any help :)

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Tracing my Grandfather Surname Ricci

Postby nuccia » 06 Jan 2008, 23:52

I know one of our members from Italy may be able to help you better but I would suggest writing away for your grandfathers military records. You know his name and where he was born..do you have his birth date? I would think this would be a good place to start.

Hope others will be able to offer more insight..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

simonf

Postby simonf » 07 Jan 2008, 19:55

Hi, many thanks for the kind reply. Unfortunately I don't have his birth date but I am hoping for some luck with military records or as someone suggested to me, the International Red Cross. I know this seems to be important to my father now so I can only try my best.

Thanks again

simonf

Postby simonf » 07 Jan 2008, 20:13

I have also found this address where by all accounts, all documents relating to Italian POWs was sent in 1996. Would I be expected to write to these guys in Italian? I think that may cause some problems for me!

Has anybody any feedback on these guys?

Ministero della Difesa
Direzione Generale Leva
Reclutamento Obbligatorio Militarizzazione
Mobilitazione Civile e Corpi Ausiliari
7° Divisione Stato Civile e Albo d'Oro
00100 Roma
I T A L I A

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 07 Jan 2008, 22:18

simonf,

Unfortunately, yes, you do need to write your request in Italian. I would suggest you write a small letter and post in on the translation board. One of our Italian speaking members will translate it for you.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Jan 2008, 00:45

Hello there. Try to write out a letter in the www.freetranslation.com website. Keep it short simple sentences. My name is. I am seeking my grandfather Giuseppe Ricci. He was an Italian prisoner of War detained in.....england. keep it short and simple. =Peter=

simonf

Postby simonf » 08 Jan 2008, 17:46

Guys, thanks again for all the suggestions, help, etc :wink:

Return to “Italian Genealogy”