Francesco Miglio from Calabria (strongoli)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tmiglio

Francesco Miglio from Calabria (strongoli)

Postby tmiglio » 10 Jan 2008, 02:17

Im trying to track down who my great grandfather's parents were. Here is the info that I currently have. I dont see any other Miglio's from Strongoli, so Im guessing they were from a nearby town...

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Below is his information n when he came over to the US through Ellis Island.

First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Miglio

Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Strongoli, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan 23, 1912
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: SANT ANNA
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0004

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Francesco Miglio from Calabria (strongoli)

Postby misbris » 10 Jan 2008, 03:40

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Ellis Islands records show 2 other Miglios from Strongoli, have you seen these?

http://ellisisland.jewishgen.org/gold.p ... ECTION=asc

tmiglio

Postby tmiglio » 23 Jan 2008, 02:40

I did, see that....Francesco is my great grand father.

I have recently discovered that his father;s name is 'Mike' on Francesco's Death Certificate...

Ive been doing a little looking for Mike/Michael/etc, but have only found one

his name was MICHELE MIGLIO (which is a male name) I almost looked past it. It doesnt list a Francesco as a child for him, but its the only 'Mike' that I could locate...

I found the link on familysearch.com...

here's what I found:

MICHELE <MIGLIO>
Christening:
16 DEC 1826 Foggia, Foggia, Italy

any idea?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 23 Jan 2008, 04:57

Dear Tmiglio while Mike or Michele could have been more of a name applied to francesco in order to avoid confusion as to what Francesco you were talking about in a town where this name was fairly common. At the same time you cannot overlook the obvious. Ther Michele you uncovered from www.familysearch.org had a father named Giuseppe and a mother named Concetta Mancini. Should you wish toi eliminate the doubt that Michele from Foggia is not who you are seeking then rent out the microfil for the Foggia, foggia, civil records at your nearest family histoyr library (www.familysearch.org0 which date from 1809 to 1900. Perhaps this might shed light or at least ekliminate Michele from Foggia asa possibilty. =Peter=

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 23 Jan 2008, 12:54

There is a photo of Strongoli on my website in the album 'Calabria'
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 23 Jan 2008, 21:00

Just curious as to why you don't think Francesco is from Strongoli. Have you already looked at the microfilm from Strongoli?

The 2 other Miglios who immigrated left family in Strongoli, and there are still Miglios there today.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... i&ind=&nc=

tmiglio

Postby tmiglio » 24 Jan 2008, 02:33

Thanks so much for everyone's replies...

I do believe that Frnancesco is from Strongoli. I stopped in the local Family History Center, and they recommended that I write to get the Civil records in Strongoli.

As for the three Miglio's that are currently in Strongoli, is there a 'best' way to contact them, and see what they know?

Thanks again for any advice for a very amateur researcher.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 24 Jan 2008, 02:52

Yes write one letter to a potential relative found in www.mangeruca.com in italian and send a copy of each to the three Miglio putting in a seklf addressed envelope to your home with $2US dollars=$1.50E$ inside for stamps to encourage a reply. You can modify the letter for your own purposes or send the letter to all three in english with simple short sentences since nglish is mnadatory in the schools and the kids can take the letter to school if they cannot translate it properly. It is your decison. =Peter=

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 24 Jan 2008, 03:05

I am surprised that they did not suggest that you order the microfilm for Strongoli. Do you have Francesco's birth date and/or any other information (siblings for example) that will help to identify the correct person. I see by his manifest that he was meeting a brother, Giuseppi, and left a wife in Strongoli.
I don't know how much research you have done already, but the more info you collect about the US records, the easier it will become to do the Italian research.
If you already have this info, you can write a short letter to the Miglios in Strongoli, explaining who your ggf was and find out if they are relatives. Do you speak or write Italian?

Here is a site that gives you a little info about Strongoli.
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/101/025/index.html

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 24 Jan 2008, 04:28

Dear Tmiglio the letter to a potential relative in the www.mangeruca.com website should be sufficient for you. i reviewed it with your intentions in mind and it fulfills your needs in requesting the desired information about your family. Of course obtain as much information as you can about your family from allyour relatives seeking out family oral history, family anecdotes etc for your eventual use later on. Lots of luck. =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”