Place of Birth: Reggio Calabria?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jmpulli

Place of Birth: Reggio Calabria?

Postby jmpulli » 15 Jan 2008, 22:32

I'm still trying to locate my g-g grandfather's place of birth. I've combed through the microfilm for Reggio Calabria (Agnana Calabra - Stilo) twice but with no success.

Perhaps my g-g grandfather didn't know his birthday. U.S./Maryland death certificate says, 18 Sep 1874? If the DOB is wrong, which part is likely to be wrong: the mon/day or year, or both?

Perhaps when he says he's from Reggio Calabria that he means he's from the city, Reggio di Calabria? Does anyone know what is customarily meant when someone lists their place of birth as Reggio Calabria (Province or City)?

Perhaps he's from a town not listed on that microfilm, in which case, I guess it might help to start searching in municipalities that have his surname?

His last know residence in Italy was Lungro and I've ordered marriage records from there to see where that leads me.

As soon as I get that, if it doesn't list his birth municipality, I'll order birth records from the city, Reggio di Calabria.

Any ideas or leads would be appreciated.

Here's his info:

Name: Rocco Polifroni
Name on immigration manifest: Nocco or Hocco Polifrone
Immigrated to U.S.: 28 Sep 1898
Americanize Name: Rocco Pullifrone
Last Residence: Lungro, Italy
DOB on death cert: 18 Sep 1874
Married: Elisabetta Cagliolo
Had two kids in Lungro: Agostino and Filamena

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Place of Birth: Reggio Calabria?

Postby misbris » 15 Jan 2008, 23:18

Hi, I am posting Rocco's manifest for reference.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030

Reggio Calabria is a province as well as a city in Calabria. However the comune of Lungro is in the province of Cosenza. The FHC does have the records for Lungro, have you searched them yet?

jmpulli

Postby jmpulli » 16 Jan 2008, 01:15

I have birth records from Lungro of Rocco's two oldest children and I'm waiting on marriage records because I suspect he married there as well.

Since Lungro is in the Province of Cosenza, I do not expect to find any birth records of Rocco there since all indications are that he was born in the province of Reggio Calabria. One indication is that Reggio Calabria is listed as his place of birth on his death certificate and Calabria was listed on pg. 2 of the ship manifest as the province in which he was born.

I'm not sure why he made his way up to Lungro but that's where he found his wife and started having kids.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 16 Jan 2008, 01:48

Have you seen this site?

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

Put in Polifron in the space next to Calabria and press search. It will give you every town in Calabria where variations of the name appear.

jmpulli

Postby jmpulli » 16 Jan 2008, 02:49

Thanks. That might be helpful they way it ranks the municipalities. I did notice that Cimina produced the most Polifroni's but for the year my g-g- grandfather says he was born, I found no records. As for Locri, It used to be called something else during the time of his birth and I'll have to see if the FHC has records for it. The others were also on the microfilm that combed through and didn't find anything.

I'm not discouraged though because there are some leads that haven't been resolved. I appreciate your help and please continue to write me if you think of something else.

Sometimes the fun is in searching and not knowing!!

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 16 Jan 2008, 14:06

Locri was called Gerace Marina prior to 1934 and no, I was unable to find my grandmothers birth act using the films either. I had to write away to the comune in Locri to get it. I had the right birthdate and film but her info wasn't on it.

I even ordered the films for Gerace with no success. Regardless, the letter worked great..I had a positive response in six weeks of her birth act and marriage records, both confirming the birthdate as correct and the place of birth as Gerace Marina...Locri.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”