Birth years wrong for Grandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Birth years wrong for Grandparents

Postby Conti832 » 27 Jan 2008, 00:31

I was amazed to find out that the birth years on both Grandparents headstones and some records were wrong.Is this very strange?

Also ,my Great Grandfather was turned away twice in Italy trying to come to America.Is there anyway to find out why?His Name was Francisco Conti

From Pofi.

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Birth years wrong for Grandparents

Postby JamesBianco » 27 Jan 2008, 00:38

It is definitely a common frustration when the dates of birth on a headstone are not accurate. I have actually encountered this many times, especially when the person was not a native of the town/country (where these things can easily be determined).

My Great-Grandmother's headstone lists her birthdate as April 17,1895 when she was actually born in 1889.

Jim

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 27 Jan 2008, 01:41

Was he turned away in Italy, or was he sent back once he got here? If he got to the US, there will be some records of deportation.

Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Conti832 » 27 Jan 2008, 03:17

He was turned away once in Naples and then way up in Genova.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 27 Jan 2008, 04:20

There are errors in birth dates all the time. If you think back a hundred years..it wasn't really necessary for you to remember a date of birth of a relative. They were recorded in the church, the civil records, so you never really had to bother with what date your mother was born.

Also, if you look at the Italian records, someone can be the same age in every record over a 10 year period. Sometimes they got a year younger! Often, the dates of birth were off a year or two. In addition, if you were going to be 21 at the end of the year 1850, for example, in January of 1850 you were already considered 21 in the records...you were the age you would be at the end of that year. So it gets confusing.

The biggest obstacle is that the person giving in the information to the coroner or funeral director didn't really know. No passports were necessary for a while, they didn't keep copies of birth records or have bibles with records in them like they did in the English speaking lands over time. And so they just did not know.

I found a record for a person with the same surname as my great grandfather. I hunted everywhere for him based on the dates of birth and death. Finally I got a death certificate...he was my great great grandfather who came over and no one ever really remembered that. His birth date was given for the death certificate by someone in the family no doubt. His date of birth was 10 years off.

That is why it is best to double check everything against the original records. Now you know when they were born and you can share it with the rest of the family. I have offered information to the cemetery office that corrects dates. It won't change the stone, but anyone else looking for the person will find out the info from the cemetery office.

Have a great evening!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”