VARUOLO, DEFINO, LUIZZI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MistyV

VARUOLO, DEFINO, LUIZZI

Postby MistyV » 08 Jun 2003, 15:11

Hello, I am currently researching the VARUOLO line...I have quite a
bit of information on the VARUOLO's in America but am having trouble linking them to my line.

My ggrandfather was Francesco Varuolo...his parent were Domenico and Emilia (DEFINO) VARUOLO. Francesco was born in Armento (I think...his birth certificate is ripped and in Italian) in 23 Oct 1880. He arrived in New York, USA on 10 Mar 1898. He Married my ggrandmother, Maria Josephine Luizzi (from Italy) on 14 Oct 1901 and move to Pittsburgh, PA shortly there after. Their first was born in 1902 with a total of 8 children. My Grandfather Michele (Michael Joseph) was the 6th of the 8 children. He had three children. My father, Thomas Francis Varuolo was the first of the three, and I am the first of his two children. I have also found many Varuolo's of various spelling across America in the census'.

There are rumors floating around about my ggrandfather having one or two brothers that came over to America too and we are trying
to figure out who they might be...we are almost positive about one of them, Joseph M. Varuolo (b: 1882) but don't have hard proof yet. I am interested in finding out who Joseph's parents were and to see if they are a match...

I am also interested in finding out if any of the other Varuoo's that come to America were siblings or cousins...I do know that VARUOLO is not a common Italian name and have been told that mostlikely everyne with that name is related somehow...I would like to find out.

I am also interested in any info on any connection to Emilia DEFINO or Maria Josephine LUIZZI...we have hit nothing but Brick walls with the latter.

Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 08 Jun 2003, 16:19

The best way to find the information on the Varuolo line is to obtain a Certificato di Stato di Famiglia (Family certficate ) on Domenico, Francesco's father which will give all the members of his immediate family including siblings, births, marriages and deaths. I am assuming Domenico Varuolo was residing in Armento when Francesco was born. The only fly in the ointment is Domenico Varuolo's birth year or birthdate. Does the rip;p;ed or torn birth record give any indication of Domenicol's birth year? Do you happen to know if Francesco was the first child so that perhaps you can calculate back to an approximate year of birth for Domenico onm the theory that they usually married when they got back from the army in Italy which was around 20 years of age. In the interim if you wish to look up the surnames of your family in Armento go to www.paginebiuanche.it and insert the surnames Varuolo,Delfino and Liuzzi in the first line one at a time and thenin the third line put in Armento or any other town that is the town of origin to trace other family members with those surnames. Push comes to shove you can always try to obtain Domenico's army records. Peter

MistyV

Postby MistyV » 08 Jun 2003, 17:07

Thanks for your quick reply, Peter...I do not know how to ascertain Domenico's Birth date. In researching the Varuolo's I have discovered the following:

Francesco arrived in America March 10, 1898 born 1880 from Armento, Italy

Felix arrived in America 3 Apr 1898 born abt 1863 from Cirigliano, Italy

Joseph (the suspected brother) arrived in America Dec 5, 1899 born abt 1882 from Armento, Italy to join his Brother Felice.

Michael arrived in America 2 June 1902 born about 1891 from Armento, Italy

I have a picture of Francesco with what looks like two brothers taken around the turn of the century...my suspicion is That they are photos of Jospeh and Felix...they were all in the Pittsburgh area in the census'. Joseph and Francesco lived next door to each other in two different census' on two different streets. Everything is pointing to them as brothers but I just don't have hard proof...do you think I should request the family certificate for Domenico's birthyear based on Felix's age? If so how do I calculate that. Also is there a way to request all Varuolo family certificates from that town since it is an uncommon name?...even now there are only two VARUOLO families in the town according to the Italian white pages...any advice would be greatly appreciated....

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 08 Jun 2003, 17:29

Since Felix appears to be the eldest son then go back 20 years for Domenico's approxiumate date of birth which should be about1843 (Felix 1863-20 years=1843). As for researching the Varuolo and whatever other name you choose you can go to the nearest Family History Library of the Mormon hcurch nearest your home (telephone directory) and you can rent the microfilm for all civil records going back as far as they go.which shuld be about 1803-1805 when southern Italy iinstituted civil records during hte napoleonic era. Northern Italy did not begin until unification in 1873. So your lin luck on that score. The fee for renting the microfilm is nominal and if you can bring a magnifying glass with you since sometimes the script written by hand in old fashion italian is sometimes in need of close scrutiny. All civil records birth,marriage and death and census information is there. Should you choose to write for documents then you need full names and date or year of birth and must be rerquested in italian language for which there are form letters. your choice. Please let me know. Peter

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 08 Jun 2003, 22:13

The website address is www.paginebianche.it. Sorry for the typo. Peter

pbruzzoni

Re: VARUOLO, DEFINO, LUIZZI

Postby pbruzzoni » 28 Nov 2008, 22:47

my ancestor was francesco Liuzzi and came to Argentina in 1895 from montemurro, his father was Domenico Liuzzi. Perhaps, francesco is brother of Maria Josephine
Pablo

Return to “Italian Genealogy”