Details of grandfather in Mesoraca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Carmel

Details of grandfather in Mesoraca

Postby Carmel » 04 Feb 2008, 12:10

Hello

I am trying to find information on my grandfather Giuseppe Londino but I do not have a date of birth. I know he was born in Mesoraca and his parents name were Isabella and Bruno Londino. He married my grandmother about 1912. He left for Argentina in 1923 and never returned. No one knows what happened to him except a letter arrived in 1953 stating he had passed away. I have checked the Argentina phone directory but there are no Londinos listed. Are there government departments where records are kept of people who travelled overseas, and who would I contact to get a birth certificate when I dont have a date of birth. Also would the churches in Soveria Mannelli keep marriage certificates dating back to early 1900s. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou
Carmel

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Details of grandfather in Mesoraca

Postby PeterTimber » 04 Feb 2008, 16:10

You can obtain birth,marriage or death records in Masoraca from 1809 to 1912 and if you wish to obtain his birth record you might wish to request his marriage record first (estratto di matrimonio) for 1912 and at the same time figure he married when he got back from the army so he would have been born between 1890 and 1895 since military service occurred around 20-2(if he was born late in the year parents would delay reporting his birth to get an extra year before he went to the army.) So you can also make a request for his birth record from Uffico di Stato Civile, Comune di Mesoraca Postale 88838, (KR) Calabria.

There is apparently no church listed for Soveria mannelli (Catanzaro) but yes churches will have the marriage record if you write to them and know their name( s) in Soveria mannelli.

If you know the town je lived in Argentina in 1953 or even the province then I can direct you to the Registro Civil for the province and you can apply for un acto de defuncion.

Please get back if youneed more info. =Peter=

Carmel

Postby Carmel » 05 Feb 2008, 09:35

Thankyou for the information. Can I email this department or do I have to write a letter. I have the problem where I dont speak or write Italian. What does one do in this situation? where would I get an email address?

Thanks
Carmel

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Feb 2008, 15:35

You can e-mail if you wish but there is no apparent e-mail address for Mesoraca since the town website does not come up for me in my PC but if you go to www.comuni.it and put in Mesoraca you will find there is no town e-mail address and the wesbtie is listed so perhaps you may be luckier than I. However, I personally thin your better off writing and requesting the document(s) you wish with a form letter in Italian whioch you can find at www.mangeruca.com and suggest that you enclose $5.00 in cash or postal money coupon as you wish since poorly paid clerks perform this fuction of written requests as an end of day matter. =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”