how do I find birth records from Civo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ChrisAnne

how do I find birth records from Civo

Postby ChrisAnne » 12 Feb 2008, 03:06

HELP!!! My grandfather was born in Civo -- unfortunately that is all the information we have. We know his mother's first name; and her maiden name; at least what we believe is her maiden name. My grandfather's father was killed in a farming accident either slightly before he was born or very soon after he was born. We know nothing about him. We have my grandfather's birthdate; we know when he came over; but even that was hard to find because of the changes in his name when he came through -- we're finding out that the last name we have had all our lives may not be our real last name. Poppie is gone for many years now; and there are no other family members who have any information. This is very important to my brother and me. Thanks for any help that anyone could give me.
ChrisAnne~
On this journey, with my brother, Bill;
searching our lineage
surnames: Faitella/Salmoiraghi
from Lombardy Region, Civo; and
on my mother's side -- Lattanzio from San Benedetto

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: how do I find birth records from Civo

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Feb 2008, 03:22

Dear Chrisanne I wish you had included the approximate years you are talkling about since there are records for Civo on microfilm from 1866 to 1929 in which your great grandmothers name would appear and her birth and marriage which should give you the fulll name of her husband and all the family members provided they fit in this timeframe of 1866 to 1929. All you have to do is to go to the nearest Mormon church family History library closest to your home (www.familysearche.org for location) and rent out the microfilm for about $5.00 and they supply the machines to view it. You buy/borrow the book Discovering italian ancestors by Lynn nelson which is a companion for the mcirofilm and veryhelpful in understanding the italian wordings for the briths,marriages and deaths.

Further if you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in your mothers maiden surname in the first line and and Civo in the third line there may be relatives that show up by name,address and telephone number in Civo. Please get back with some years involved and her surname and when they arrived inthe USA as immigrants and where (Ellisisland?)=Peter=

Civo is a town in the province of Sondrio and the postakl codeis 23010. This province is located inthe Lombardia region which borders on Switzerland.

ChrisAnne

Postby ChrisAnne » 12 Feb 2008, 04:11

Dear Peter...
Thank you for the information. My grandfather was born June 10, 1909. I had heard about going to the Mormon's and I had planned on doing that.
Our entire lives we had thought our grandfather's name was Joseph (Giuseppe); yet in finding his Ellis Island records; it lists him as Giosue (Joshua?). Our last name; we thought was Faitella; yet his name is listed as Faitello. It's the same for his sister, Amelia and his mother, Livia Mariani. He came over in 1920. We found the Ellis Island records; and it was only because we knew to look for his step-father's name in the records and cross reference those. In doing this ancestry research; we've solved a few family mysteries; and uncovered a few others. But this one; the changes in Poppie's name really have us stymied. The only thing we can think of is that everyone called Poppie "Joe"; and it's entirely possible that he really was Giosue; and everyone assumed he was "Giuseppe". ARGH!!! I am so frustrated. Thanks for any information.
ChrisAnne~

searching our lineage

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Feb 2008, 04:19

Dear Chris Anne do not fret the ships manifests upon whic h all passengers are listed are prepared in Italy and based upon Italian government documents when purchasing tickets so while erros occurred for the most part the names were correct. When aliens arrived in the uSA as immigrants and went into the social life of the uSA people not familar with italian names probably made mistakes or when asking how do you spell the name made changes that normally would not have occured in Italy. Going to the Mormon church microfilm will establish the names for you sinxce they were prepared int he town of origin in Italy. =Peter=

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 12 Feb 2008, 04:37

Hi,
I am posting your grandfather's manifest for reference.
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0014

p2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0014

The manifest contains a lot of information.

Their mother's name is listed as Livia Mariani, which is probably her maiden name. The children were wards of Giacomo Margnelli and his wife, Anita Cometti, who the children were travelling with. Anita's mother was Ambrogia Mauri who is listed as the grandmother of all the children.

Could Anita have been an aunt?

The handwritten numbers near the clildren's names refer to the beginning of their naturalization process (1939)

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 12 Feb 2008, 04:44

The name Faitello does not exist in Italy today, so the right name is probably Faitella, which is also fairly rare. That might make it a little easier to to find your family in Italy.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 12 Feb 2008, 05:01

Is this your grandfather?

Joe FAITELLA
Birth Date: 14 Jun 1909
Death Date: 24 Oct 1990
Social Security Number: 049-18-4235
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Connecticut

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 34990
Localities: Palm City, Martin, Florida

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 12 Feb 2008, 10:17

Hi,
this is the ship's manifest abt Livia:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Lisia Mariani Faitella
Name: Lisia Mariani Faitella
Arrival Date: 31 May 1916
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Ship Name: Giuseppe Verdi
Search Ship Database: Search the Giuseppe Verdi in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Soudrio
Line: 3
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_2470
Birth Location: Soudrio
Birth Location Other: cido (CIVO)
Page Number: 35

father Arcangelo Mariani in Civo
page 1 http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5627/livia1pb6.jpg

page 2 http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4346/livia2ao2.jpg

the surname spell is FAITELLA...
for the civil certificates you can write here: accivo @ provincia.so.it (NO SPACES)
or
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Fraz. Serone, 65
23010 CIVO (SO)
Italy
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 12 Feb 2008, 10:54

In the 1922 New Haven CT directory, Livia is listed as Livia MarianO
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7257 ... anohl5.jpg
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

ChrisAnne

Postby ChrisAnne » 12 Feb 2008, 14:22

thank you...thank you...thank you all!!! Maybe I can get somewhere with this now. Now, my father was born in 1938; you said that the naturalization process was started in 1939; would that have also ended my father's dual citizenship rights?

You all are the best!!!
Gratzie!!!
ChrisAnne
ChrisAnne~

searching our lineage

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 12 Feb 2008, 20:58

As long as your father was born before your grandfather naturalized, you are okay. Other people on this site are better qualified to help you find your grandfather's naturalization records.

Do you have any census information? That will also give you some idea of your grandfather's citizenship status.

ChrisAnne

Postby ChrisAnne » 13 Feb 2008, 00:37

The last census information I have is 1930; he was still listed as an alien. And once again, his name was screwed up on those records. It's unreal. Can't anyone spell??? haha!! Anyway -- my next trip is to visit the local Family History Center -- I am hoping that they can get me the information I need--

ChrisAnne
ChrisAnne~

searching our lineage

HAnne

Postby HAnne » 22 Dec 2013, 18:29

Chris Anne, my grandmother was named Letizia Cometti and she was from Civo, but left when she was 9 with her 15 year old brother Giuseppe. (My grandmother died in 1982.) Do you know of any relations between Anita and Letizia? I do not know much about my grandmother, but I would really like to gather everything i can from every source possible. Letizia's father was Pietro- I do know that as well. Thank you.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 23 Dec 2013, 15:53

ChrisAnne,
Guido Giosué FAITELLA was born in Civo on 14 jun 1909 #29, son of Beniamino Faitella 26 old( son of late Giosué Faitella) and son of Livia Mariani (daughter of Arcangelo Mariani)
birth act:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1304925116
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 23 Dec 2013, 16:05

Death act of Beniamino Faitella:
26 old, born and resident in Civo, it died on 23 aug 1909 #1 in Dazio town,