Briglia Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Raylen

Briglia Family

Post by Raylen »

Greetings to you all from Australia.

I hope someone is able to help me with some infromation on Francesco Antonia Briglia.

What I have so far
Born 21/7/1879 Potenza Marsicovetere (Not sure if these are towns,suburbs :? )Arrived in Victoria,Australia 5/5/1909
Died in Australia 1954
His fathers name was Carlo Briglia.

I'm hoping someone can help me with -

Francescos mothers names and a date for her marriage to Carlo.
Also
On the same ship that Francesco arrived in Victoria, there was also Carlo Briglia age 38 and his wife (name not known) 30 and Michel Briglia age 27 and his wife Maria age 25.
I was wondering if these might all be brothers, and, are there any more siblings dates of birth anyone can find.

One last thing - the Carlo Briglia that arrived in Australia - I haven't found a death for him here. I have found a death for the name Guiseppe ( right age and same parents as Francesco) Briglia. Are these names interchangeable or is this just a coincedence and he left Australia and died
somewhere else.

Sorry this is a bit long but I hope someone can help me.

Thanks
Raylen
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Briglia Family

Post by PeterTimber »

Hi Raylen OZ is good place, You might wish to check out the database at www.naa,.gov.au for passenger lists held by offices of the archives for passenger records held in Melbounrne #184 for their arrival in Victoria. As for an alternative since I do no tknow where you reside you might also want to go to www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx

Frist name changes have been known to occur in large families in a small town to avoid confusion when making reference to one cousin or another so it may be possible they are one in the same but your record search should reflect something about this.

You might want to consider going to the microfilms for the civil records for
Marisicovetere at your nearest Mormon church family history library (www.familysearch.org for location nearest you) which cover all births,marriages and deaths from 1809 to 1910 and obtain the family genealogy and determine if Carlo and Giuseppe are one and the same person. The fee for the rental of the microfilm is nominal and should you wish to obtain a specific document you can always write directly to Uffico di Statao Civile in Marisicovetere , Postale 85050, (PZ), Basilicata, Italy.

The service is free and the wait is about 6-8 weeks. letters requesting specific documents must be in italian (www.mangeruca.com for form letters in italian).=Peter=
Raylen

Post by Raylen »

Hello Peter,
Thank you so much for your reply and information.

I have now got naturalisation papers and have managed to tie up a few mysteries.

I have also found some war records which have helped a lot too.

Thanks again for your advice. You're a gem! :wink:

Raylen
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Good to hear from you! enjoy the summertime. =Peter=