Origins of the surname Palanga?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Kenan

Origins of the surname Palanga?

Post by Kenan »

Hi folks!

My old familly name was Palanga and after some brief research, I came to the conclusion it is either of italian or possibly lithuanian origin.

I checked the Ellis Island immigration records and noticed almost all of the Italians with this surname were from the south of Italy. This is the only source I could verify this, as I haven't found any other evidence this surname still exists in this part of country?

On the other side, I found the place in Lithuania called Palanga and also some of the historical lithuanian figures had a 'Palangis' variant of this name. (also present by some of the Greeks)

I am of montenegrian ethnic origins as my father and his ancestors were born there. My uncle told me we added a slavic "-ich" to our name many centuries ago but they are not 100% sure whetever we came from Italiy to Montenegro or maybe somewhere from the north of the Europe.

BTW, does the name Palanga has any meaning in italian language? My old uncle told me in Montenegro it means a hole in a wooden door or something like that..(not sure)

I am yet to try this word in lithuanian but I can't find any online translators for the language.

Thanks in advance,

Kenan
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is no Palanga in the italian surname dictionary and there is no word in the italian word dictionary. Curiously enough the majority of the current 107 Palanga surnamed persons in Italy come from Puglia region which is just across the Adriatic from Montenegro and Albania and a likely conduit for the historical immigration. The ellis island records show the current distribution as well since there are 30 in the Rome area and 20 in Central Italy. There is an italian word that is descriptive of a ground line stretched along the shore to which floating lines furnished with fish hooks are attached and is "Palangrese" in Italian language andit is mere speculation on my part that there may be a connection bearing in mind this is from the seat of my pants and has no authority behind it. Have you searched out the word or name Palanga in www.google.com? Peter
Kenan

Post by Kenan »

Peter thanks for the nice reply!

The possibility that my ancestors came from southern Itally is indeed big one but there is one other thing I noticed while looking for origins in the secondmentioned Lithuania.
There is an italian word that is descriptive of a ground line stretched along the shore to which floating lines furnished with fish hooks are attached and is "Palangrese"
As I said before, there is a tourist town of Palanga (Lithuania) and there is an explanation of its name on their official website and is quite simillar to the one you kindly provided:

The origin of the name Palanga is related with the sea and legends too. People tell, that little houses of fishermen were situated so close to the sea - shore, that sea waves were laying, and the wind was covering with sand them up to windowsill (palange).

Source: http://www.palangatic.lt/index.php?param=-3|18|64

So in both cases the word is related to sea and shore which is hard for me to treat as just being a coincidence.

It may be possible that there actually -was- some sort of a tribe spread all over the european continent and it carried this name. (just like the possibility the name comes from one source only: Itally)

As for the Google search, I didn't find neither one Italian with a surname Palanga which may mean none of them had anything posted on internet or not being represented online.

All in all, it's definetelly something to look into..the word itself has definetelly a historic background and obviously is being used in modified forms but with similar meaning.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this subject I'd be more then happy to read his/her views. :wink:

Kenan
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I put out some feelers and I will get back to you with any answers. Peter
norbertogallo

Post by norbertogallo »

Hi Kenan,

the surname PALANGA is common in Puglia because the palanga or palanca is an instrument used to build the 'Trullo'.
The Trullo is an ancient stone build very common in the Alberobello area. here you can see one of them http://www.italyis.com/puglia/ars_hist/ ... rullo2.jpg

The palanga or palanca or palanghino is a jemmy, (piede di porco-->foot of pig), a word coming from the medieval latin palanca (roll to slip ships) and from the greek falàgx (trunk, club).

norberto
Kenan

Post by Kenan »

norbertogallo wrote:Hi Kenan,

the surname PALANGA is common in Puglia because the palanga or palanca is an instrument used to build the 'Trullo'.
The Trullo is an ancient stone build very common in the Alberobello area. here you can see one of them http://www.italyis.com/puglia/ars_hist/ ... rullo2.jpg

The palanga or palanca or palanghino is a jemmy, (piede di porco-->foot of pig), a word coming from the medieval latin palanca (roll to slip ships) and from the greek falàgx (trunk, club).

norberto
Thx Norberto! :wink:

It does point to Mediterenian (Itally, Greece etc.) but this possible lithuanian connection is a bit puzzling least to say..I'm not much of a historian so I can't tell wheter ancient roman civlization spread that far (lithuanian territorry) and left some of the latin language traces there. (which would explain the word/name 'palanga' being used that far to the north of the european continent) :!:

Kenan
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

please re-read what I said. Southern Italy is not the source of the Palanga surnamed people. The source is most likely Montenegro and Alabnia which is just across the Adriatic opposite both countries znd is a conduit for the flow of peopl into Italy and into other areas of Italy. Peter
Kenan

Post by Kenan »

ptimber wrote:please re-read what I said. Southern Italy is not the source of the Palanga surnamed people. The source is most likely Montenegro and Alabnia which is just across the Adriatic opposite both countries znd is a conduit for the flow of peopl into Italy and into other areas of Italy. Peter
Yes, u're right. My bad. :wink:

Very, very interesting...I did visit some other similar forums but u guys are far more forthcoming in terms of helping out the riddles. 8)

Kenan
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Palanga (polangen) is the name of a research group led by a Ms Livshin at rlivshin@compuserve.com whom I have e-mailed her to request her knowledge of the Palanga surname since she is so heavily involved in the shtetl research she leads. I am surprised you never came across her name in your research of the palanga surtname. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is no Palanga in Yugoslav telephone directory for Montenegro area. Peter
Kenan

Post by Kenan »

ptimber wrote:Palanga (polangen) is the name of a research group led by a Ms Livshin at rlivshin@compuserve.com whom I have e-mailed her to request her knowledge of the Palanga surname since she is so heavily involved in the shtetl research she leads. I am surprised you never came across her name in your research of the palanga surtname. Peter
Well, my 'research' was mostly based on Google and searching one word only. I was not aware of Ms Livshin and I thank u once again for your efforts. 8)

Kenan
Kenan

Post by Kenan »

ptimber wrote:There is no Palanga in Yugoslav telephone directory for Montenegro area. Peter
Yes, we added a slavic"-ich" extension to it long time ago so it's Palangic (Palangich) now. I was told this by my old uncle. I wasn't aware it was slightly changed, untill I spoke to him about r familly history.

It was a common thing to do in those days. Even after Turks have left the Balkans many famillies kept the new turkish surnames but added "-ich" part to them, in a slavic surnames tradition.

Kenan
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Well good luck to you and if needs be I am here.Peter