Find unknown siblings within a family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Find unknown siblings within a family

Post by aabruno »

Experts,

I am trying to find siblings left behind of 3 brothers that moved from Bella, PZ to the US. I have written before to the records office in Bella, Italy but not on this subject. The brothers were born in 1860 (Vincenzo), 1862 (Michelangelo), and 1875 (Antonio).
LDS microfilm ends in 1860 for this town.
I want to write a letter to see if there were siblings (possibly women) born between 1862 and 1875. I know the parents names (Vito Antonio Bruno and Maria Parella).

Does anyone know how to best write a letter to obtain this information?
Any templates?

Thanks!
Anthony
lilbees
Master
Master

Re: Find unknown siblings within a family

Post by lilbees »

You can find come good form letters at

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
or

http://www.mangeruca.com/
or

http://www.anzwers.org/free/italiangen/ ... #relatives

These are all good sites to help you. The circolocalabrese.org is a fill-in-the-blanks and then transcribes it to Italian.

Give them a try. They are all good. :D

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Forgot to add, you can compose a letter and someone can help you transcribe in this forum by going to the Italian language, handwriting , script & translations section of this forum.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aabruno »

Thanks, I have written several letters. The question is that I beleive the Ufficio won't send me nascita records without a name of the person I am looking for which is what I do not have. It there any "family name" records I should ask for?

Anthony
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

"I know the parents names (Vito Antonio Bruno and Maria Parella)."

Do you know the date or place of birth of the parents?

You would write to the Civil office of the commune of residence
and request a "state of the family" which would show family information including any siblings that you may need.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aabruno »

Ah... ok. Yes, I know the exact dates of birth and marriage of the parents. So I'll write a letter asking for Stato di famiglia di Vito Antonio Bruno and Maria Parella.

What information do they need... date of marriage... date range??

Thanks!
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Read through the information from one of the letter writing sites and it will tell you what you would need to include with your request.

lilbees
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aabruno »

OK, thanks!

Anthony
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aabruno »

Well, an update. I sent a letter to obtain a stato di famiglia and got a reply back saying that there is no information available.

Any next steps?
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I wish you luck on that.

I wanted the same type info.

I wanted the siblings for my grandparents. I knew he had two and she had two...but, I am sure there are more..that never came to this country.

I believe my grandfather is the 3rd son. One of the sisters that I found is the first born, born within the first year of the marriage. Then 9 years pass before the birth of my grandfather..and then a sister (that I found), somewhat younger. This family seems to use the Italian naming tradition. The first born was named after her paternal grandmother. My grandfather named his children according to tradition and so did this sister.

My grandfathers name was Anthony, born on St Atnhonys day. This leads me to believe..there were two before him.

His town was sending me, very quickly..every record I asked for. I included, with my request a 10 dollar bill. I got the records in 2 weeks.

I tried to pull a fast one. I gave them the two names, that I believed two sons would have..and a timespan of 9 years. Heh..I got a reply, and my 10 dollar bill back. It seems, they wouldnt even do an index search.

There is no other way that I can get these names of his siblings, and that of my grandmother. I dont think there was a stato di famiglia for that time period. (1880s). Unless the fhl gets more recent records for this town (they have them to 1865), I will never be able to get this info unless I hire someone to go search.
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aabruno »

Unfortunately for me the microfilm records for this town (Bella) ends in 1860 so I depend on the records office for more information.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

aabruno wrote:Experts,

I am trying to find siblings left behind of 3 brothers that moved from Bella, PZ to the US. I have written before to the records office in Bella, Italy but not on this subject. The brothers were born in 1860 (Vincenzo), 1862 (Michelangelo), and 1875 (Antonio).
LDS microfilm ends in 1860 for this town.
I want to write a letter to see if there were siblings (possibly women) born between 1862 and 1875. I know the parents names (Vito Antonio Bruno and Maria Parella).

Does anyone know how to best write a letter to obtain this information?
Any templates?

Thanks!
Anthony
If you haven't done so already, why not try writing to the Bruno's currently living in Bella PZ? According to the italian telephone directory, there are just a small number of them.

I did the same, writing to families with my grandparent's surnames in their comune (admittedly, a smallish village of 7000+ persons) and managed to connect with two persons who are almost certainly related.

If you connect with someone, it may prove to be a dead end, or they may have a family bible tucked away in a closet with a hundred years worth of information written within. At the very least, a relative living in Bella might be willing to take up the research on your behalf in the local ufficio municipale.
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aabruno »

Yes, actually I have done that with no replies. Although is has been over a year and can try again.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear AABruno perhaps a form letter from www.mangeruca.com to potential relatives including a return addressed envelope and $3.00 for stamps to encourage a reply might do the trick. =Peter=
aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aabruno »

I'll try it out! Thanks.