Question for anyone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Question for anyone

Postby Conti832 » 29 Feb 2008, 18:30

My Grandfather and Grandmother came to America from Pofi ,Italy .
I know it was very rough with alot of racism and such for people of
all backgrounds coming here in those days. Was it less so in other Countries or the same?

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Question for anyone

Postby juanminbar » 29 Feb 2008, 18:50

as each ethnic group made their way to america they experience racism. first the wasp, then the irish and finally the italian and slavs.

the italians were looked down upon for a number of reasons. they were peasants who had very little in money or belongings, they were different in stature, on the short side, dark in complexion and finally thay could not speak or understand the language of america. this made them targets for abuse and were offered work that no one else would do.

the folks who came from slav countries experienced similar acceptance.

when someone talks about the old days i'm sure the stories were not very uplifting.

good luck, john

Gallo1975
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Question for anyone

Postby Gallo1975 » 29 Feb 2008, 23:42

Well said.
Always looking for info on: Gallo, Perillo, Stelatto, Morganelli, Cutarelli, Aniello/Aiello, Langella, Garitta/Aritta, Hayward, Nicolson & will be happy to swap info too!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”