Calarco Family Research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pcalarco

Re: Calarco Family Research

Post by pcalarco »

I am researching the Calarco family of Calanna, Reggio di Calabria, Italy who emigrated to New York, NY, Berlin (now Kitchener), Ontario Canada, and also Long Beach, CA USA.

Parents: Dominico Calarco and Theresa Palumbo (Calanna)

Children:
Rosario Calarco (1879-1960) (d. Long Beach, CA USA)
married Maria Luiza Gurzi (Rosalina, Reggio di Calabria, 1899-1942) (d. Long Beach, CA USA)

Pasquale Calarco (1881-1975?) (d. Kitchener, ON Canada)

Vincenzo Calarco (188?-196?) (d. Kitchener, ON Canada)
married (Marcella Bojanowski, *1898-1982) (d. Kitchener, ON Canada)

Caterina Calarco (1890-?) (d. ON Canada)
married Antonio Sciarrone (1888-?) (d. ON Canada)

Dominica Calarco (18?-?) married a Mazza from Genoa

I am primarily working from what's available to me in ancestry.com. Happy to share detailed information. Thanks!

- pascal
JerryPrager

Post by JerryPrager »

Maria Calarco's husband, Domenic Sciarrone was the first Calabrian mob boss of Ontario circa 1911-1922, their daughter Rosina's daughter Mary, married a later Calabrian-Guelph mob boss, Frank Silvestro 1925-1978.
The real expert on the Calarco's and San't Alessio is an Italian named Antonino Sapone, who is himself a Calarco on his mother's side. My list came from him.
There is a contemporary artist in Guelph named Mary Calarco, who would probably know about the Guelph-Toronto-Kitchener Calarcos.
Jerry
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I have a list of mobsters by city from wikipedia.org (the free encyclopedia) which was redirected from a List of famous Mafiosi by City. The list for canada only is for Montreal and Windsor. None of the name you mention are listed. =Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Peter, can you provide me with that link.....looking for some specific names, primarily Peoria and Chicago.
Lee :wink:

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Molto grazie.....
keep it in the wind...... :wink:
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

....I do holding onto the raised handlebars of my bike with just a T-shirt. Pete
JerryPrager

Post by JerryPrager »

The Sciarrone's were, I believe, first written about by James Dubro and Robin F. Williams in King of the Mob: Rocco Perri and the Women Who Ran His Rackets, and then written about by Antonio Nicaso in Rocco Perri:The Story of Canada's Most Notorious Bootlegger. My research of their names and aliases in all their variant spellings was via library card access to online copies of The Toronto Star, The Globe and Mail (Toronto), and access to library-held microfilm copies of the Guelph Mercury, the Hamilton Spectator, and Ontario archived papers from Thorold-Port Colbourne, Brantford, Welland and Niagara Falls. Coroner's court cases are also archived by the province. Online documents provided by Ellis Island, Archives Canada, and the Library Version of Ancestry.com were profoundly valuable.
Guelph seems like an odd place for a mob town but just after the turn of the 19th century there was a diaspora from Italy to North America of Giuseppe Musolino's fleeing piccioti who escaped capture after the Grand Captain was re-arrested for the last time and jailed for life, some of those fleeing were predecessors of today's Canadese 'ndragheta clans who then mingled with Calabrian seasonal workers through Naples-based Camorran-run labour supply-shipping operations. They ended up in Guelph because the Goderich Railway line was being built from Guelph so some SGM families opened stores and boarding houses here, others also ended up here because the desire to settle in Ontario coincided with the end of an Italian government ordered work travel ban after a 1909 volcanic eruption in Calabria (that spared SGM), on top of that Guelph councillor bought a lot of acreage in the lower half St. Parick's Ward in 1910 and essentially gave the city a residential-industrial development.
Alice Street became the epicentre of Ontario's San Giorgio Morgeto (SGM) diaspora, who apeared to make up a significant portion of Sciarrone's piccioti, whom he led until Perri inherited Sciarrone's power in 1922. Perri held power until 1944.
As for Guelph's Frank Silvestro, he inherited his power from Tony Silvestro, who was the cousin of his father Mike. By the 1980's Tony was being referred to by mod writers as one of the "old don's of Ontario". The second old don was another SGM-Guelph-Welland-Hamilton former Sciarrone ally, Domenic Longo, the third was a post-war arrival, Giacomo Luppino. Longo moved to California and opened what became that state's largest car dealership; Tony Silvestro died in Hamilton in 1963, Giacomo Luppino lived on in that city as the Papalia's came to power there after TS's death: they always paid Luppino respect. Luppino's daughter married Paul Viola, who worked for Vic Cotrone in Montreal until the Rizzutto's ended his life earlier the same year that Frank Silvestro "died" while jogging in Guelph. (Curiously, Cotrone was born in Mammola, about ten miles from SGM.) The Papalia's didn't serve Luppino: when Johnny "Pops" wasn't in jail for narcotics, he served Stefano Magaddino of Buffalo.
Frank's father Mike Silvestro was a shadowy figure in Guelph, almost mythical since he was nearly shot through the heart by Joe Musolino in the Ward in 1909 but lived until 1962.
By 1911, the Toronto-Buffalo based Musolino hadn't consolidated his hold on the picciotti before he was asked to leave Canada by the courts. Sciarrone took over the organization but ran it from Guelph. The majority of Sciarrone's piccioti were what I call Morgeti, they were from SGM . They all passed through or stayed in Guelph from 1903 on. After TS died in '63. Papalia did not run Guelph. La Cosa Nostra's reps during Frank Silvestro's rise to promince were Charles and Frank Cipolla, sons of the Raccalmuto born Perri-era Black Hander Matteo Cipolla who ranged from Hamilton to Woodbridge to Port Colborne to Guelph. In fact, the Italian component in his gang was largely made up of Calabrians like him, who were from either Plati and SGM, or were Sicilians from Raccalmuto.
JerryPrager

Post by JerryPrager »

Further research shows that the Dominic Longo who operated the car dealership in California died there Oct 11 1985 at the age of 65, Guelph-Welland's Dominic Longo was 30 in 1923 when he married Vittoria Valeriote.
Sorry.
JerryPrager

Post by JerryPrager »

In fact, it now appears that the Dominic Longo from California was the husband of Lena Longo who together created various scholarships and donated considerable sums of money to the Republican Party in that state from Pasedena. Lena Longo of Hollywood, California is listed in the Mar 18 2002 Welland Ontario obituary of her sister-in-law Katherine Longo Ramella, sister of Domenic. Which would make California's Dominic Longo the son of Frank Longo, brother of Guelph's Dominic, who was interned. Frank was one of Joe Veroni's (Dominic Sciarrone's) 1922 pall bearers.
calarco

Post by calarco »

There are lots of Calarco in Argentina and we would like to know our origin.
THE ONLY THING THAT WE KNOW IS THAT come from REGGIO CALABRIA
EZEQUIEL CALARCO
Jessamyne

Post by Jessamyne »

Hello. I am new to this site. I am looking for my family background. I am the grand daughter of Charles/Fortunato Calarco who lived in Toronto, Canada. He had one son, Joseph Anthony who was my father. He also had daughters, Carolina, Mary, Helen, Rose and Monica. My grandmother was named Ann or Annie Calarco ......she somehow disappeared from the marriage as the children grew up motherless I was told. Charles owned restaurants and was a businessman. I remember him from my early childhood. I am now over sixty. Perhaps I can fill in some blanks. I had cousins in Seneca falls and also Guelph. Please post and I will look for any information. I also believe that Domenico and Domenica were my great grand parents who came from Italy from Reggio Calabria.
nursedr

Post by nursedr »

My grandmother was a Calarco who immigrated from Calabria to upstate NY. Her Father was named Dominic and may be a cousin to your family as she too was related to the Calarco's from Seneca Falls. Do a google search for Legends of the Morgeti:Calarco family and you should find some information regarding your family. I am not sure of the accuracy of this link but I hope it helps.