Census returns

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carigreen

Census returns

Postby carigreen » 12 Mar 2008, 17:06

Hi everyone - I`m taking tentative first steps into Italian records and wonder if anyone can tell me whether there are searchable Italian census records particularly for 1891 and onwards. Possible location Naples but yet to be confirmed. Many thanks. Cari

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Census returns

Postby Italysearcher » 13 Mar 2008, 21:38

Italy doesn't do census' in the same way as US and England. Everyone has to be registered as a resident of the town even today to access any services like hearlth care, schools etc. This registration acts as an ongoing census which they update every so often by sending people a card (I have had one) to take to City Hall and let them know you are still a resident.
In the past the parish church would do a census of their parish but it wasn't compulsory and some did and some didn't.
Around 1866 when Italy was unified some towns did a Registration of the population but it exists today only in some towns.
You are going to have to go the long route, requesting birth and marriage certificates until you reach the years microfilmed by the Mormon Church.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

carigreen

Re: Census returns

Postby carigreen » 13 Mar 2008, 21:42

Thanks for the reply. I will have to think again on this one and do some more research this end.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”