Looking for my grand grand father place of bird, in Cosenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
olivera_cecilia

Looking for my grand grand father place of bird, in Cosenza

Postby olivera_cecilia » 17 Mar 2008, 22:06

[align=justify]Hi There!!! I am from Argentina. My grand grand father (Antonio Di Giovanni), came to Argentina (Buenos Aires), aprox in the year 1877, i don´t know exactely when he arrived, what i know is that he came with a woman named Maria Borrelli, and they married in 1897. He was born in Cosenza, Calabria, but i need to know in which comune, because i need that information to start my citizenship. I can´t find his name anywhere in Cosenza, so i nedd help!!! please!!!
Thanks a lot!!
Cecilia

langelo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking for my grand grand father place of bird, in Cose

Postby langelo » 22 Mar 2008, 11:03

I am also in a wild search for my grandfather's birthplace in Cosenza for my dual citizenship as well. Census or naturalization records in Argentina may have the birthplace. The Morman Church has taken the lead in researching Italian births so you may want to contact them--either at their headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah or a church near to you. They have vast resources on births in Cosenza--year by year.

langelo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby langelo » 22 Mar 2008, 11:22

Cecilia,

You probably have already done so, but here is the address to write for Certificato di Nascita for your grandfather.

Good luck, Lois.

Archivio di Stato di Cosenza
Via Miceli, 67
87100 Cosenza (CS)
Italy

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Mar 2008, 13:30

Cecilia the arrival records for Antonio Di Giovanni (there are several) start with 1885; one being aged 21 and arrived 6/28/1885 and the other aged 56 and arrived 2/24/1885. The remainder are in the 1900's so here is what to do.

If you live in BA thenyou can make a trip to the CEMLA whose immigration records start in 1882 to 1926 or write to them at Avda. Independencia 20, (1099) BA or call them on the telephone at (11)4342-6749/4334-7717/4331-0832 or send them an e-mail at cemla@cemla.com and if you can locate his arrival record then you can find the comune he comes from in Provincia Cosenza.

You might wish to go thru the comune's listed for the provincia Cosenza at www.nonsolocap.it ansd go thru the towns one by one...there is one called FALCONARA ALBANESE that might be related to a plac e of birds since FALCONARA relates to Hawks used in hunting sport.

Please let me know how you make out. No Hay problema si quieres escribirme en Castellano. =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”