Looking for immigration of Giuseppe/Joseph Accardo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Looking for immigration of Giuseppe/Joseph Accardo

Postby johnlabarbera » 19 Mar 2008, 14:59

Looking for immigration evidence of Giuseppe Accardo who was born 1946 and lived in St Mary Parish, Louisiana in 1900. 1900 Census attached. Trying to prove he is a different person that Vittorio Ugo. I assume Accardo is from Salaparuta and he married Giuseppa/Josepa Bruno Ugo sometime between 1892 and 1900 in the USA, then adopted Josepa's kids who were originally born to Vittorio Ugo and Josepa Bruno in Salaparuta. I would also assume Accardo immigrated to New Orleans in 1892 as stated on the census.

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Looking for immigration of Giuseppe/Joseph Accardo

Postby Essgee » 19 Mar 2008, 18:03

Couple of things. To post a full image that cannot be enlarged is using a lot of disc space. Perhaps imageshak or something similar would help people like me who need a larger print to read it and also save disc space.

Also, this states that they have been married for 28 years. So not sure what you mean about married after 1892.

Vittorio and what appear to be daughter Caterina did arrive in 1892 in New Orleans.

johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby johnlabarbera » 19 Mar 2008, 19:02

Sorry I did not fully explain the situation, the wife and children's names changed after they arrived to USA from Ugo to Accardo. We do not know why but think V Ugo dies and Josepa remarried. The family is not aware of this at all so we are trying to determine if Ugo really died or if he just changed his name (and family name) for some unknown reason.

Today I found V Ugo's birth record and it was in the year 1846. I did find a birth record for a Giuseppa Accardo but it was in the year 1849. I have yet to see if the Ugo birth date matches the census.

As far the image, I was once told to do it this way....to avoid the imageshack notations etc....so I am not sure why this is a problem....thanks

johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby johnlabarbera » 19 Mar 2008, 21:08

Vittorio Ugo Birth Record - Index Entry only available, no actual record due to unknown parents I believe

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 20 Mar 2008, 15:35

There is an arrival record for a Calogero Ugo in 1898...for New Orleans. Appears to be the same age as Carlo Arrado. Not sure if this means anything.

johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby johnlabarbera » 21 Mar 2008, 13:58

Thank you...Yes Calogera became Carlo Accardo and then later he changed his name to Carlo DiVittorio which is the name his descendents now carry. Not sure why he changed his named but we believe he wanted to be known as the Carlo "of Vittorio" instead of an Accardo....there is more background on this request under another thread in this forum called Antonina Accardo...this is an interesting mystery...Antonina is my ggrandmother...and our family had no idea there was a Ugo involved when I started this...the good news is that my research helped us discover our cousins in Rockford Ill (descendents of Carl DiVittorio) and my parents are visiting them next week!

johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby johnlabarbera » 21 Mar 2008, 13:58

Thank you...Yes Calogera became Carlo Accardo and then later he changed his name to Carlo DiVittorio which is the name his descendents now carry. Not sure why he changed his named but we believe he wanted to be known as the Carlo "of Vittorio" instead of an Accardo....there is more background on this request under another thread in this forum called Antonina Accardo...this is an interesting mystery...Antonina is my ggrandmother...and our family had no idea there was a Ugo involved when I started this...the good news is that my research helped us discover our cousins in Rockford Ill (descendents of Carl DiVittorio) and my parents are visiting them next week!

AAccardo

Postby AAccardo » 30 May 2014, 22:40

I just wrote like a 7 paragraph response to this for over an hour & it got erased when I tried to post it... :x

Anyway, my great grandfather is Giuseppe/Joseph Accardo & his wife was Mattia Cascio, she was from Salaparuta, Sicily. They are buried at St. Micheal's in Convent, LA - 5 miles from here. I am one of the last couple decendants living in St. James Parish, where 24 of the 27 Accardo's in the 1900 US census were from.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”