Antonio Domenic (Dominic, Domenick) or Dominic (Domenick)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
miller1969

Antonio Domenic (Dominic, Domenick) or Dominic (Domenick)

Postby miller1969 » 24 Mar 2008, 16:55

Antonio.

Attended a family funeral this past weekend in Mississippi. Spouse of a Rizzo. There are two 12-plot sections, side by side. One owned by Rizzo, one once owned by "Gurri" which we know is Guerierri (or other spellings.) Rizzo/Guerierri are same family. Next to the Guerierri plot is one burial and the headstone reads "Dominic, Antonio." Dates inscribed are 11-11-1868 to 11-16-1917. No one in the family knows who this is but all strongly feel there is definitely a familial connection.

My best guess, at this point, is that the names are his given and middle names, with the surname being omitted. Cemetery records are almost non-existant so there's no way to check that route. The surname could be Guerierri, Rizzo, D'Angelo. No one seems to know. I'll accept all suggestions of how to determine who's buried in this plot. Thanks.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Domenic (Dominic, Domenick) or Dominic (Domenick

Postby BillieDeKid » 24 Mar 2008, 20:45

You can check the funeral homes and the churches for records. I found both of my grandparetns info via the funeral home. My grandfather died in 1959 but my grandmother died in 1934........they still had all the records from the time the funeral home was built in the 1880's.

Hope this might help you.

Regards,
Elizabeth

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Postby juanminbar » 24 Mar 2008, 23:19

unless the cemetery was bombed or flooded they should have records. take whatever surnames that you found on the headstone and take it to the office. once they identify the PLOT they should have the names of everyone who is interred there.

good luck, john

miller1969

Postby miller1969 » 24 Mar 2008, 23:30

juanminbar wrote:once they identify the PLOT they should have the names of everyone who is interred there.

good luck, john

Therein lies the problem. I actually spoke with the cemetery manager later that afternoon. He had a print out of all the plots and plot owners. But, they DO NOT keep a record of who's buried in the plots. Just which ones are used and which ones are open. I was astounded to say the least.

There is a relative trying to find who owns a section of 12 plots. There's one head stone in the plot with the name Dominic Antonio (or Antonio Dominic). Until the relative can find who that is and if he has living relatives, the plots can't be used or sold. Records showed the adjoining plots had been sold by a "Gurri." Of course, after talking to the living relative and thinking for just one minute, it was obvious the name should be Guerieri.

Unless the local Catholic church has records, we'll be stumped for now.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”