Requesting help from those in the know

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Frederici

Requesting help from those in the know

Post by Frederici »

Thank you for reading this. Any help would be appreciated.

My Last name is Frederici and, recently, I discovered that it was spelled Frederitzi until probably somewhere in the mid 1800s after coming to the US. They previously lived in Alsace-Lorraine, France, and apparently had lived in that region for many generations (their parish in Missouri records that they even spoke German). I've read that they were probably originally from northern Italy, but I can't confirm this. It's seems pretty obvious that it's a name of ancient Germanic origin (along the lines of Friedrich), but was Latinized after settling in Italy, likely with the whole fall of Rome and all. My question is this: based on the spelling, are there any clues as to the region they were originally from or as to the dialect the originators of the name spoke? Until recently, I thought my name was just a very obscure German name, so now I would like to learn more about my newly discovered Italian roots.

Thank you
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Requesting help from those in the know

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

This link is in Italian, but not very difficult to understand. It looks like Federici and Fedrighi. and Fedrizzi are Italian names. But there is no Frederici listed.

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 0006av.htm
Frederici

Re: Requesting help from those in the know

Post by Frederici »

I appreciate the link, there may be some good clues in there, if not a specific name match. More specifically, I'm mainly concerned with the Frederitzi spelling since Frederici is a more recent, artificial change. Thanks again, and any further help from anyone is still appreciated.