state of the family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

state of the family

Post by davidlatour »

Could anyone tell me exactly what information the state of the family report gives you? My bisnonno immigrated to the U.S before he got married or had any children. If wanted to find relatives in italy should i request the state of the family under his name or should I use his fathers name? The only drawback to using his father is that I don't have a birthdate.
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: state of the family

Post by JamesBianco »

The Stato di Famiglia is an amazing document which is sort of a detailed census by family taken by the Comune. The birthdate of a child in the particular family should be sufficient enough for the Stato to find the family record. I am lucky enough to have two, in case you would like to see what to (generally) expect. They differ a bit Comune to Comune.

My Great-Great-Great Grandfather Osvaldantonio Delfavero & Family
Valle di Cadore (BL)

The book is VERY large, it took two pages to copy the whole document:

Part 1
Part 2

And my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Antonino Marciano & Family
Carini (PA)

Antonino Marciano

Each child who married has a reference # to the right side which directs the Stato to their own family Page.

In many cases the Stato charges money to research these records, and often they will outright refuse. The indexes are kept on cards in huge cabinets much like you will see in a library. The original books are enormous, each page is about a foot across and two feet high (roughly) and these documents spread across two pages, left to right.
Jim
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

how much was the cost for it, a lady is helping me out finding living relatives from italy from my great-grandfather's brother who never left italy, and she did also mention that it can be very expensive to do.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ChrisMosca wrote:how much was the cost for it, a lady is helping me out finding living relatives from italy from my great-grandfather's brother who never left italy, and she did also mention that it can be very expensive to do.
I have heard that it is costly. The first one (Valle di Cadore) was sent to me without even asking when I sent the Stato a request for the marriage of Osvaldantonio and his wife.

The second I obtained in person at The Stato in Carini, they asked for nothing, but I did offer a 20 Euro donation, which they refused to accept.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi David

There was actually a thread on the subject of cost. Read through and you'll get an idea of how much it actually costs to request "state of the family". Suanj is a genealogist/researcher in italy and Nuccia is a moderator here on the forum.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =8712.html

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

For the "Certificato Storico di Famiglia" - Historical family certificate- sometimes civil record office can issue that for not fee.
Most of the times, the civil record office follows the italian law of Agenzia delle Entrate (italian IRS) so the fee is: € 15 euros for each certificate issued and € 3/€ 6 euros for each name found. This money has be to sent via special electronic transaction, directly to the municipality postal account, that can be done only in a italian post office. I can say that because I have many experiences about that
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo